Any additions to the "Battleroom" dialog...

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

NOTE: Images used are just placeholders. The images shown will also need actual designers to work on them. :wink:

That is what it looks like currently. Tell me if you think of anything else you would like included and I will see what I can do.

Remember that it's easier to edit it now than it is to edit it later.

(Also, see this link for more information on the porting effort of the lobby)

UPDATE: Look here for the updated pix.
Last edited by Ace07 on 24 May 2005, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

just so you know, the server i wrote probably compiles in linux and if it doesn't, it would require minimum changes. i used mostly posix compliant stuff, including pthreads, berkley sockets, and mysql
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

There is no "team ally".

What are these green arrow for? Color, Arm/Core...?
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

Where does the side icon come from? I hope it is easily modable so people can create their own icons for other races than core and arm (and same for all non-TA mods)
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

It does seem I am missing something fairly important. I forgot to add a spot where you can choose the faction you want to use. :P

The icons next to your name would probably represent your rank (if we use some type of ranking system). They could stand for anything really, but they would have to be semi-unique to each person.

@jouninkomiko: The server you wrote is on the CVS right? I think that one has already been ported. :lol:
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

A counter measuring what percent of the map the player has downloaded.
A counter measuring what percent of the mod the player has downloaded.
Somewhere that says the mod that is being run.
Space for later when maps have a description.
Space for later when mods have a description.
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

haha great! i knew i did something right when i made it posix-compliant from the get go :)
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Torrasque wrote:There is no "team ally".

What are these green arrow for? Color, Arm/Core...?
Ace07 wrote:It does seem I am missing something fairly important. I forgot to add a spot where you can choose the faction you want to use. :P

The icons next to your name would probably represent your rank ...
Actually, i thought that those green arrows were buttons that you would click and select what faction to play with (core or arm).
And, yes, alliances are missing.

Looking good :-) .
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

Also, I would like to note that if all of the slots aren't filled up, the irrelevant drop down boxes and checkboxes will go away. That should help with the cluttered look the preview image has right now.

@PauloMorfeo: The images next to the name should be for your rank or something. (You know those little badges you get when you win 50 games on PheonixWorx?)

I still need to get that faction up there, and I will add more space for descriptions of the map somewhere.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

well..this is COOL!! 8) now all we need is a new patch..i swear i heard "one update a month" at some point, don't turn into EA and not improve this legendary game!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

It doesn't need a "ready" button imo. It does need force-ready and kick buttons however. I also don't fully understand the "sync" concept.

It lacks:
- A window showing the list of ufo/hpi/gp3/ccx/swx/gp4 etc... in the spring folder, and which one are selected.
- A window showing the contents of the first txt file found in the root of the last ufo/hpi/gp3/ccx/swx/gp4 etc... mouseclicked (mouseclicking them toggling enabled/disbladed) (I stick to my simple mode management idea)
- Race selection. Don't forget to have room for many other races besides Core and Arm.
- Shared unit teams.
- Currently teams are made by selection a number. It would be nice to make team also by allying to each player we wants, so we can have games like "each player allied to his two neighbour".
- More team option, like "units don't attack, but no sharing not even los and radar", "each with its own color and commander, but each can also control the unit of the other", "share ressources or not", etc... In fact instead of the current "team" and "ally team", I'd like for each player to say if we are allied to him or not, and the degree of sharing: "nothing shared, just no attacking", "los+radar", "los+radar+ressource", "los+radar+unit control","los+radar+unit control and I don't even have my own units".
- End condition choice: commander death, all units death, possibly a map specific condition
- Start with: start with a lone commander, start with a lone hover cons, start with a map specific script (I know it's not here yet but I wish it will be soon). Obviously "end condition" and "start with" have some ties.
- Line Of Sight: no los, all terrain seen, regular los, unexplored map and regular los, unexplored map and permanet los once explored. I don't even know if unexplored map is possible, but anticipate it anyway.
- Max units (ok, it's here, but I like a box where to type the values and not only a slider. In TA it was very hard to start with 20 units limit in CTA game for one who had the 5k hack)
- Disabling units Ok, I see it, but I want to make sure that when clicked it opens a new screen where the host can set the limit, from 0 to max unit, for each and every units. Make sure there's not only a slider but also box, or else limiting nuke to 2 for instance is very hard. Also make next to each unit a box saying whether the limit is per player or per team. Don't forget the ability to save exlusion list, and, to the extend of what is possible, some sort of group exclusion, like "disable all armed planes", "disable all units with range longer than x", whatever you can think will be useful and have time to implement. Would be nice to let the player use its own filter combination, a bit like the selection editor.
- File download panel, with name, progression bar, content of first text in the file, of the file currently being downloaded, as well as list of file to download, and to upload too if you're host, and some box where people can choose to turn off auto-file download and put filesize limit on it.
- Box to enter numerical value of Energy and metal. Make sure it's easy to handle a third ressource, or only one ressource, for the future.
- Hardness of map. At least display the value of the smd, but maybe also let the player to optionally override it with its own value (slider and numerical value)
- Gravity of map. At least display the value of the smd, but maybe also let the player to optionally override it with its own value (slider and numerical value)
- Wind of map. At least display the value of the smd, but maybe also let the player to optionally override it with its own value
(slider and numerical value)
- Tidal of map. At least display the value of the smd, but maybe also let the player to optionally override it with its own value (slider and numerical value)
- Metal value. At least display the value of the smd, but maybe also let the player to optionally override it with its own value (slider and numerical value).
- Any other non-aestetic-only map stat. At least display the value of the smd, but maybe also let the player to optionally override it with its own value (slider and numerical value).
- Note that some map .smd values like map hardness really must be overrideable, but other like extraction radius really shouldn't be overrideable. So, well, choose well which can be changed and which can only be displayed. Also, with any map changes,the values must be reseted to map default. And maybe keep map default shown next to chosen value, in another color.
- Radar: none available, dots on minimap shown but non targetteable not even manually, current Spring radar system, with or whithout inaccuracy and let's be crazy radar innacurracy slider and numeric box.
- Remember enemy buildings out of los yes/no.
- Player ping.
- Player hardware info (GFX card, RAM, CPU,...), so if we seen someone with an old PC, we know not to play on a large map with mod using ultra-detailed units. Maybe it would be a privacy voliation to let everybody laugh at how sucky your computer is, so maybe we can't show that.
- Not sure you can do it within the lobby code only, but make the shown minimap shaded and colored and watered like it is ingame.
- Only the host should be allowed to give handicap. Or maybe vote on handicap. Or only allow handicapping handicap. Whatever, but if anyone can freely use the up arrow on the handicap thing without anyone else being able to stop them, it is bad, very bad. Actually only using handicapping handicap sound like the best solution.
- Maybe some options to disable whiteboard, group AI, and other game helps (each its own toggle). I'm sure at some point some people will complain that games with no micro management take no skill, so it would be nice to be able tell them "You can disable anti-mico-things, so STFU, spring>all".
- Quick link to change your setting, including sdf recording settings.

Also, make sure your battleroom can be used offline and in a LAN game and in games joined via IP, and not only within the spring server.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

@Zwzsg A lot of good idea, but we need to organise them in types because I don't think you can place them all on one windows.

A speed slider would be cool, it sad when the game begin and everybody want an another speed (I don't say I must be locked, but with a slider, people will speak about it before begining the game)
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

mutil page form,

Tab1=Map
Tab2=Units/Mod
Tab3=Extras like handicaps and gamespeed...
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

Wonderful ideas...thanks!

Now I just have to find the time to impliment all of them. =)

I forgot to ask though....if I use a slider for game speed, what should be the minimum and maximum values?
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

Its just a start, but here is the updated version:

Still have a LOT of renaming to do (internal variable names). There is also a lot more to add when it comes to other settings.

NOTE: When you are recieving a file, a dialog box should open up for you and show you the details. Everyone else in the channel will simply see the info on the right panel. Only 3 uploads from the host are allowed at one time. Any more and a 30 KB/sec cable line begins to look like 56k.

Possibly we can work some stuff into the software that allows the users to distribute the files amongst themselves also (see bit torrent). This would only be used for mods and such though. Although, I would hope someone would actually have the mod before they join a game that requires that particular mod. Also note that the host can kick a player at any time. :wink:
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Awsome
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

ping is a picture?`

Btw. whats this ACE07 downloading ... ? Mod distribution in battle room?
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

i would like to pick a color.

and gamespeed should be defaulted on 1
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

Rayden wrote:ping is a picture?`

Btw. whats this ACE07 downloading ... ? Mod distribution in battle room?
There should be 3 ping pictures. One is green, the other is yellow, the last is red. When you mouse over, it should show the exact ping of the player in a tooltip.

That is just for show at the moment. At some point, the client should be able to transfer map files to other clients in the battleroom. That is just a representation of what it would look like if I was not the host.

I will default the gamespeed to 1. SJ said this:

Minumum: 0.3
Maximum: 3

It seems reasonable. :P
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

posibility to set as spectaor

Return to “Engine”