Please help with game crash

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Fencer

Post by Fencer »

I'm trying to run Spring for the first time on Ubuntu 13.10. When I launch a single player game from the lobby, a splash screen appears for less than a second and then the game crashes. I suspect this is a video card thing. I tried both the open source and proprietary driver for my video card, and got the same results.

Infolog.txt attached.

Any help is appreciated.
Attachments
infolog.txt
(4.11 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Re: Please help with game crash

Post by hoijui »

you are trying to run "Spring 88.0 (OMP)". this is very outdated!
the oldest version currently in use is spring 91.0, though most games (except ZK) use 96.0, and a new release should come soon.
either your lobby should download a newer version for you, or you have to update your ubuntu packet sources, or download the static version of spring.
see http://springrts.com/wiki/Download
Fencer

Post by Fencer »

Thanks so much for your help.

I'm not having luck with updating the repositories, so I downloaded the static binary (.7z). But where do I extract this? It seems like there might be some installation script I'm not seeing... The help on the site here isn't clear on this detail and I'm a bit of a noob in Linux.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

You should be able to just launch the static binary ("cd extractedSpring && ./spring") if you have the few dynamically linked libraries it still needs (those are mostly libsdl or libsdl2 depending on which version and some boost).

You can get most of that by apt-get build-dep spring, and if they are missing, you'll get a message telling about that when launching Spring from CLI.

After that you might want to link your downloaded binary from your lobby. Though most currently active lobbies will just automatically download an appropriate engine for you upon joining a room that requires this engine.

Return to “Help & Bugs”