Spring Engine - Lets Play?

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

huhuhuhu

Post by huhuhuhu »

Hi :-)

I play Spring since some years and really like it.

Am I allowed to upload so called "Let's Play Videos" of the Game?

I want to upload a Chicken Battle for example.

Greetz
hu
Jools
XTA Developer

Re: Spring Engine - Lets Play?

Post by Jools »

Of course. Upload whatever you wish. It's good if people are active.
gajop

Post by gajop »

You shouldn't do that. Spring is an engine, not a game, and there should thus be no "Let's play" for it. Please, don't spread confusion on youtube!

PS: You don't play Spring, you play BA, ZK or something like that. You would do us a favor if you never mention the name of the engine, we don't want people to equate the quality of any given game to the engine itself.

PSS: Your effort if of course appreciated, and no one can stop you from posting any kind of video, this is just advice!
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

It is of course good if people know spring is an engine. But games are what interest people, not the engine. I don't see anything bad happening from posting your games. The load screen will usually tell people what they play anyway.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

You shouldn't do that. Spring is an engine, not a game, and there should thus be no "Let's play" for it. Please, don't spread confusion on youtube!
I disagree - there is nothing wrong with attracting players to Spring and offering them a sane system in which to choose/play multiple games. Many current players came in that way & without Spring itself having publicity there is little chance of attracting good developers.

In my opinion, if you enjoy doing it, make videos and post them - but please include both the name "Spring" and the name of the game you are playing with it.
Last edited by Silentwings on 09 May 2014, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Shadowfury333 doing a first person commentary as he plays http://youtu.be/z7JjTnAaG3M

PRO_rANDY (no commentary) http://youtu.be/jDi9AGmALtU

Shadowfury333 tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/Shadowfury ... shelf_id=7
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I guess he's trying to say it would be an absolute P.R. disaster if you left any room for possible confusion between a Balanced Annihilation chicken battle and a Zero-K chicken battle.

P.S.: - Which other games have chicken?
- Does chicken refer to only the purple tusked ones, or is chicken a generic name for all the spawners bot gadget pseudo-AI such as the one in EvoRTS or late GRTS?
huhuhuhu

Post by huhuhuhu »

Ok, I see. My english is not very good and its not easy to understand all that. My friends and me allways just call it "Spring" I played the Original Game Total Annihilation, too.

Then I will call the title like "Balanced Annihilation X.XX - Small Chicken Battle" or sth. like that? Would that be okay?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I think the whole "Get off my lawn" mentality with spring-not-a-game has done damage enough.
Other games proudly proclaim which engine they run- on lets play UnrealEngine- FPS-Whatever sounds okay.

The idea that people would rather have no promotion at all then under the wrong name is ridikulosis.

Especially as a well done lets play (and install, get con-figgured-out and confucked, and wrestle with the settings) might really help spring users when it comes to getting stuff to run. And its not easy, and its not intuitive, no matter what- remember Evo-launch. Never forblet
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Anyway, the answer to the question OP asked is "Go ahead". Anything else is just bullshit.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

While we are at spelling ;) : is "Balanced Annihilation Chicken Defense" a "mod" of "Balanced Annihilation"?
knorke

Post by knorke »

dansan wrote:While we are at spelling ;) : is "Balanced Annihilation Chicken Defense" a "mod" of "Balanced Annihilation"?
Unless I missed some deeper meaning: Technically yes.
But from players side it is the same game, just fighting against monsters instead of players.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

I didn't mean it technically.

But I wonder: Although it has the same game mechanics as BA, it does have a third faction and it is a cooperative game! The economy and the tech tree of the common enemy is different to that of the other two (BA) factions. If it'd be available I think some players would even use a communism mode. Can you really call this the same game? Isn't the BAC game play almost as different to BA as XTA game play is to BA?
knorke

Post by knorke »

dansan wrote:Can you really call this the same game? Isn't the BAC game play almost as different to BA as XTA game play is to BA?
To me BA and BAC have always been the same game:
BA is the normal multiplayer PvP mode. Chicken Defense is the coop/singleplayer-mode against monsters.

zero-K includes the (basically same) chicken-defense mode and think nobody would argue that it is a different game. Same game - just different game modes.
For BA it is split into two files (which players do not even notice thanks to lobbies autodownload) but everything else is the same.
If it'd be available I think some players would even use a communism mode
If all players agree to move their resource-share-sliders all the way to the left it is like one shared resource pool.
slider to left = communism ;)

Return to “Help & Bugs”