re: Citalopram - Page 2

re: Citalopram

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: re: Citalopram

Post by FLOZi »

Hoi wrote:Stay away from psychiatrists and their drugs. Their methods, ideas and drugs are all destructive and will not do any good. If you are depressed you need to self-reflect and think about your life, in order to improve your situation and to be happy again. Poisoning yourself with chemicals is in no way a solution and will, in a way make the problem worse.
This anti-science anti-medicine bullshit is really tiring. You may as well be saying homoeopathy cures cancer.
Instead of this, 'normal' council can help as in talking about your life and problems with someone. A friend, family member or someone else who does such a thing for a living. But no drugs or therapy designed to magically do things for you.
Talking to family and friends is certainly helpful but there are many times and many reasons why people abjectly will NOT talk to those they are already close to. Talk to a trained professional if given the chance.

About the only reasonable snippet here is that drugs and therapy are not magic, but no rational adult would claim they are.

@ Bruce:
Indeed, the greatest stigma of all is that depression is no different to the day to day ups and downs and its peoples own lack of fortitude that leads them to suffer worse than others. It's as obscene as the Victorian view of the 'undeserving poor'.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

FLOZi wrote:
Hoi wrote:Stay away from psychiatrists and their drugs. Their methods, ideas and drugs are all destructive and will not do any good. If you are depressed you need to self-reflect and think about your life, in order to improve your situation and to be happy again. Poisoning yourself with chemicals is in no way a solution and will, in a way make the problem worse.
This anti-science anti-medicine bullshit is really tiring. You may as well be saying homoeopathy cures cancer.
It is in fact science which invalidates most current used drugs and psychotherapy, and even cancer treatments. This has nothing to do with homeopathy. Why are people always dogmatic when someone refutes aged and incorrect 'scientific' ideas? The validity of said treatments is absent, in fact it is easy to prove they have a reverse effect, and calling such products of stupidity scientific to establish a validity dogma just prevents people from thinking and discovering the truth.
smoth

Post by smoth »

why are you bothering floz. He can stick to prayer or herbal remedies. It's his health.
Panda

Post by Panda »

PicassoCT wrote:Also never take them if its just society you cant fit into the way you are.. then instead find better company.
That's true. A person's depression could be caused by being around bad company all the time.
FLOZi wrote:@ Bruce:
Indeed, the greatest stigma of all is that depression is no different to the day to day ups and downs and its peoples own lack of fortitude that leads them to suffer worse than others. It's as obscene as the Victorian view of the 'undeserving poor'.
I hate that stigma too.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

This thread has wandered into slightly volatile territory, so I'll just say hang in there 1v0ry_k1ng.

Although, I will say my mom's philosophy when it came to this kind of stuff with my brother and me was that if at the end of the day you're just not comfortable with it, seek alternatives.
Azhukar

Post by Azhukar »

PicassoCT wrote:Also never take them if its just society you cant fit into the way you are.. then instead find better company.
Panda wrote:That's true. A person's depression could be caused by being around bad company all the time.
I feel this is madly appropriate. :regret:
assholes.jpg
assholes.jpg (20.36 KiB) Viewed 2681 times

As for the topic at hand, I don't think anyone willingly chooses to be depressed, just as you don't willingly choose to have a phobia of some sort.

What I believe is that with sufficient mental conditioning, you can control your emotional (or mental, word play) state to a high degree.

Psychiatrist can help, just as pills or other treatments, but the steps we have to make ourselves. Outside help only gives us good shoes and energy drinks.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Azhukar wrote: What I believe is that with sufficient mental conditioning, you can control your emotional (or mental, word play) state to a high degree.
If only that was true.
Azhukar

Post by Azhukar »

PicassoCT wrote:
Azhukar wrote: What I believe is that with sufficient mental conditioning, you can control your emotional (or mental, word play) state to a high degree.
If only that was true.
Will can do amazing things.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

OK Well. I have a job working with lots of friendly people and I have a girlfriend of sorts.

The symptoms have been long-term, almost two years now and recently getting worse so I decided to go to doctors. I was prescribed 20mg Citalopram/day and got handed a months worth.

I have yet to start taking them though, because losing the ability to have sex for a period of months would probably make my girlfriend leave me. Based on what flozi & smoth have said, and what I've read elsewhere, I guess antidepressants aren't much of an answer.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Take them. Start with half a dose, build up. If it alters your libido (not an issue for me in 2 years of taking them), go back to your GP and ask for an alternative.

They aren't a panacea but they are part of the process of getting better.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Haven't noticed any real problems (no effect on libido at all), I suspect it reduces my will to make mods/games but that may just be general laziness.
smoth

Post by smoth »

If your girlfriend left you over you taking some medicine and not boning her you didn't lose anything of value.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

KDR_11k wrote:Haven't noticed any real problems (no effect on libido at all), I suspect it reduces my will to make mods/games but that may just be general laziness.
I think its as much the illness as the medication that results in loss of enjoyment and drive.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

FLOZi wrote:The last two people have never been depressed and know nothing of it, ignore their 'advice' at all costs.
Orly?

Fine, become the zombie that anti-depressants turn you into. Medication is obviously always the answer because Flozi has decreed it to be so. There is never any other possible answer. You are hopeless, and will be completely helpless and hopeless and never amount to anything in your life unless you take medication.

The great Flozi has spoken. Who doth dare to disagree with him?

(Also, he knows your medical history because he is great, powerful and all-knowing, so don't even bother opening your pathetic mouths, you filthy peasants.)

In other words: Fuck you. You know nothing about me and congratulations on graduating to supreme asshole status! I'm sure your reign will be long and plentiful!
smoth

Post by smoth »

the obvious answer to everything forb, it must be polarized black and white, absolutes!
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Forboding Angel wrote:Fine, become the zombie that anti-depressants turn you into.
More anti-science hyperbole. :roll:
Medication is obviously always the answer because Flozi has decreed it to be so. There is never any other possible answer. You are hopeless, and will be completely helpless and hopeless and never amount to anything in your life unless you take medication.
Except all those times that I emphasised it is only one part of an ongoing process to improvement.

The rest is a clear ad-hominem so I won't dignify it with a response.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Forboding Angel wrote: Orly?

Fine, become the zombie that anti-depressants turn you into. Medication is obviously always the answer because Flozi has decreed it to be so. There is never any other possible answer. You are hopeless, and will be completely helpless and hopeless and never amount to anything in your life unless you take medication.

The great Flozi has spoken. Who doth dare to disagree with him?

(Also, he knows your medical history because he is great, powerful and all-knowing, so don't even bother opening your pathetic mouths, you filthy peasants.)

In other words: Fuck you. You know nothing about me and congratulations on graduating to supreme asshole status! I'm sure your reign will be long and plentiful![/size]
I should probably emphasize that I was asking for feedback on the effects of a drug, not for your advice on fighting depression.
smoth wrote:If your girlfriend left you over you taking some medicine and not boning her you didn't lose anything of value.
That's a silly stance to take. It's a new relationship, we are both fairly young and it's a fairly central aspect atm.
Depression has been a problem in this respect anyway, and I don't want to kill my libido entirely.
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah a lot of posters here don't read the thread ivory. Otherwise they would know you already got your answer(in before "I did but wanted to assert my beliefs on medication"). Most of this site doesn't read the thread before post, hell sometimes I don't.

Well I guess that is my thing, if you are NOT going to take care of your mental health for fear of losing the affections of a girl, that is bad. You can always talk to her about it. It isn't permanent, the medicine may take a few weeks to get into your system and even then it may not really cause that side effect. The choice is yours but I was just saying man, you gotta look out for #1 and that is YOU!
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

FLOZi wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:Fine, become the zombie that anti-depressants turn you into.
More anti-science hyperbole. :roll:
Medication is obviously always the answer because Flozi has decreed it to be so. There is never any other possible answer. You are hopeless, and will be completely helpless and hopeless and never amount to anything in your life unless you take medication.
Except all those times that I emphasised it is only one part of an ongoing process to improvement.

The rest is a clear ad-hominem so I won't dignify it with a response.
As you have conveniently ignored me as I suspected I will take the direct approach. How is telling someone to work on himself instead of taking a ton of pills anti scientific? Even better: explain to me what is scientific about these drugs. Show me the proof of their success and absence of terrible and common side effects. Guess what? You can't, because these drugs don't work and only have negative side effects.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Fuck off Hoi.

This thread is not for you.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”