Grim Dawn Kickstarter!

Grim Dawn Kickstarter!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Grim Dawn Kickstarter!

Post by rattle »

Fans of Titan Quest:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cra ... /grim-dawn

Promising game. I already bought a copy a while ago...
smoth

Re: Grim Dawn Kickstarter!

Post by smoth »

does it support lan play?
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

http://www.grimdawn.com/about_faq.php
"Will Grim Dawn use DRM that TOTALLY screws me over?!

Our goal is to screw you over as little as possible with DRM. We don't plan to use any DRM in our direct downloadable version of the game. If we work out a distribution deal for a boxed copy with a publisher, they may have their own DRM requirements but it is something we will fight to avoid.

I don't know if people would consider this DRM or not but one thing we are planning to do is authenticate your game-key in order to join multiplayer match-making on services like Steam. If you have a legitimate retail copy of the game, you shouldn't even notice this. It will have no effect on LAN or single player."

I take that as a yes, since TQ had LAN play as well.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

I had heard of this but didn't really look into it. I am excited for this, I will be keeping an eye on it.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I haven't played titan's quest, how is it unique as an RPG? (or is it a strategy game?)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

unique... run off the mill diablo clone by the looks of it but instead you get a game with good character customization due to 45 different class combination: you get to pick two skill trees for your dude or dudette.

On the three difficulties the unique, special or set items drop in their respective qualities. There's some minor crafting requiring you to collect lots of monster poop. You can socket the shit out of your items too.

It's quite enjoyable. Has good controls, 2006 graphics that look better than the blurry mess called Diablo 3, goofy physics engine, good audio, high replayablity, shared stash.

Lots of third party stuff like character editors or a stash tool to manage your loot out of game. Game editors that change the main exe to tweak certain little annoying things, third party campaigns, total conversions, an active community on http://www.titanquest.net/ etc.

tl;dr: D2 on steroids that plays nicer and has a different visual touch. it's no RPG though unless you call hacking billions of monster to pieces roleplaying
gajop

Post by gajop »

some 5 years ago we tried to play titan quest on LAN, and it lagged horribly for 3-4+ players on a 100Mbps LAN; i guess "LAN is supported" is never a clear thing
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

Rattle spelled out TQ pretty well, one thing I would note is that I personally characterize D2 as being a rather fast, on-your-toes, may die at any moment game. TQ did not really feel like this to me. In my opinion, it definitely had slightly slower gameplay. Of course, this could boil down to the classes and skills I used in each game, but something to consider. I'm sure this comment will get some rage.

Don't get me wrong though, I loved TQ. A lot, actually. I intend to return to it someday, but not sure if/when that'll ever happen.

In fact, when I started CT (fall of 2009), I was about 2 months into working on a (potentially) rather large TQ mod that I started. It was basically a Norse campaign (maybe it was the Age of Mythology in me talking, but I was let down that TQ's mythologies were Greek, Egyptian, and Chinese...) and I had about an hour of map made, and I had completely changed all of the skill trees into my own classes. I was really into it, but around that time Oksnoop2 got a unit working in Spring and I unintentionally hopped ship and started making CT.

In summary, TQ good.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

you can die pretty fast in TQ as well unless you are overgeared.

I played TQ/TQ:IT for like a year or so, then it became uninteresting. Games don't really last long on me...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”