Want some exposure for Spring.... - Page 12

Want some exposure for Spring....

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

dimm

Re: Want some exposure for Spring....

Post by dimm »

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... -an-OS-RTS
I'm sorry i didn't have the guts to post it in general gaming.

Wait but my posts have no links.

Alexa says;
very low fps in "zero-k" 6.31%. 2nd highest search
61.8% from Germany

Which sites did users visit immediately preceding zero-k.info?
% of Unique Visits Upstream Site
100.00% google.com

http://www.cahilig.net/2011/07/29/100-b ... inux-games http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/07/10-p ... games.html
http://freegamer.blogspot.com/
cahilig and freegamer but not http://www.lgdb.org/game/zero_k ????

You had a poll on this topic of people who play zk now right?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Advertising is good but you need to gain a level of independence that allows you to do it without completely messing it up. PicassoCT's jokingly posted review is far better than your first try at the escapist forums but it still isn't something that would inspire me to try the game. It doesn't even have any pictures, links or videos.
dimm

Post by dimm »

http://playthisthing.com/suggestion-zero-k
is this ok? why do people like reading long meandering and insubstantial reviews when there are LPs. Watching a guy run for 30 minutes to the next questing locale says more about the game than any 'review'.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

It's decent I guess. Some specific gripes:
Descended from a lineage of many Total Annihilation remakes on the spring engine, Zero-k should appeal to fans of TA and SupCom.
Could sound too much like an OTA remake.
At this moment 25 people are playing ZK.
Displaying activity is good but this could be done in a better way. We have graphs estimating around 220 unique players per day so if you assume people don't play every day a playerbase of 500 is a reasonable estimate.
ZK tries to be convenient both while managing the game and while playing it. The lobby will automatically download and install maps, games and versions of the engine. If a vote is called in-game a handy voting tab will pop up. Chat is automatically read out loud by a robot lady.
Largely irrelevant, in the age of Steam people don't assume there will be download problems. Also the chat reading sounds irritating. This entire paragraph could focus on powerful UI in the way that the second half does.
why do people like reading long meandering and insubstantial reviews when there are LPs. Watching a guy run for 30 minutes to the next questing locale says more about the game than any 'review'
No one said "don't make LPs". If you want to do that by all means go ahead.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

At this moment 25 people are playing ZK.
Up to hundred people play zk -every day.
ZK tries to be convenient both while managing the game and while playing it. The lobby will automatically download and install maps, games and versions of the engine. If a vote is called in-game a handy voting tab will pop up. Chat is automatically read out loud by a robot lady.
Have you ever wondered, why there is advertising (for a new-not yet broken) mouse in every RTS-DVD Case?
Have you ever listened to the sound of koreans playing the Starcraft? Then you know, that there are more blisters on these fingers then in any shooter. Such stuff happens if you artifically limit a User Interface.

They basically break your fingers, so there is a "competition" among equals. Problem is, they aint equal, not even with broken fingers.
Thats why you are here, thats why you wonder from lame Game to lame Game, thats why you are going to click on the download button and your search will be over.
You want RTS, because you want Power. If you had strange desire, to order every groundtrooper with the camera close upon his buttocks singlehandedly, you would have installed diabldota. Instead you desiret controll, calm, and accurate decisions, disregarding the heat of battle.
There is nothing wrong with beeing bored by the reflex test - that is cover based shooting and if there were was a war tomorrow, you would be that guy on the hill, watching those soldier ants row up to die in the trenches.
If you pile up enough of those console tards, maybe the upper crust can be at eye level with your boots.
smoth

Post by smoth »

PicassoCT wrote:Image
:)
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

PicassoCT wrote: Up to hundred people play zk -every day.
Actually its hundreds:
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/729/ ... 205248.jpg
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Also.. dont forget you are open source.. so know your strong points when it comes to advertising. And dont attempt to replicate the comercial advertising campaigns.

You dont have the money to bribe magazines by booking adds. You dont even have viral marketing power they have. Hell, EA cheats its own demonstrations against its game into existance.

So what do we got. We got the underdog corner for us. We got the badboy Image. Just tell it like it is. Neither google or nor microsoft ever loved open source. What they liked is having a flock of sheep they could use for testing and change detection.

GOOGLE SUMMER CAMP DROP OUT - AND PROUD OF IT!

IF OS GETS TO GOOD, IT GETS TRANSFERED FROM GOOGLE-MARKETING TO GOOGLE TROUBLEMAKERS. BLIZZARD AND EA WONT BOOK GOOGLE ADDS IF WE AINT GONE.

What we need is to push out those things that even SupCom doesnt have. And we have the modability. In theory, everyone not happy with zk-s balancing could copy the source and make a improved ZK ;).
Also empasize the wishlist. Just add a lot of old Requests who got pushed through so they float on top. Also no realism or holdbacks.
In this game the loudest trumpet wins, not the one with the most beautifull sound.
Finally some Slogan. Short. Catchy. Dont use mine. Make a competition, use the one that stickys.

ZK: Time for Real Strategy.

Also... the good old comunity leads.. it always convinces people if someone more successfull then them does something. Then its safe, then its good. Copycat is activated. Thats what most mainstream advertising is about: Creating the ilusion that a product has always been there, and has always been used by the beautifull, succesfull and leading of some field.
dimm

Post by dimm »

PicassoCT wrote: IF OS GETS TO GOOD, IT GETS TRANSFERED FROM GOOGLE-MARKETING TO GOOGLE TROUBLEMAKERS. BLIZZARD AND EA WONT BOOK GOOGLE ADDS IF WE AINT GONE.
Yeah speaking of google anyone know a Blippr replacement? It was a website database allowing rate and review. Make lists, see what other people liked. Etc. Or maybe its just blocking me cause i like to do research? maybe something that shares bookmarks?

Also what are your favorite forums Picasso?

Anyway http://www.xfire.com/genre/rts/real-time_strategy/. Would it make sense to try and compete here? I thought about 20 people play all day to about 500 hours rather than 200*1.6 about 300.

Btw, my concurrent project; http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27894.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Ooh hey. TotalBiscuit's already seen us.

see this list: http://www.gog.com/en/mix/totalbiscuits ... tegy_games

Scroll to the bottom and see what he has to say about TA.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Hes gonna be fucking kidding
Spring RTS can offer much more then TA will ever do

-Lua
-CEG
-No Limits
etc...
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Theres only one way to step out of the shadow of this methusalem. I ll get the 250 $ dinner with chris taylor, someone else organizes some poison ;)
smoth

Post by smoth »

Karl wrote:Hes gonna be fucking kidding

-Lua
-CEG
-No Limits
etc...
"Spring is BA"

Enjoy this. I blame you all.
dimm

Post by dimm »

Why do people keep making units for TA that never appear on Spring?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

smoth wrote:
Karl wrote:Hes gonna be fucking kidding

-Lua
-CEG
-No Limits
etc...
"Spring is BA"

Even me, but i brought to spring the Gundam, i invented it!
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

smoth wrote: "Spring is BA"
How do you come of BA? I dint mentioned it?
smoth

Post by smoth »

it's what you lot promoted spring as..

"TA IN 3d OMGOMG"
"THE BEST TA GAME ARE BA ETC"

I don't really care, honestly, as I have said for years, I am very ok with NO ONE caring about gundam. So I just watch this community represent spring as BA and now I grin at the consequences of promoting spring with something which barely utilizes what the engine can do. I don't really lol, it isn't THAT amusing to me, but mostly I grin, like this -> :3
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

smoth wrote:it's what you lot promoted spring as..

"TA IN 3d OMGOMG"
"THE BEST TA GAME ARE BA ETC"

I don't really care, honestly, as I have said for years, I am very ok with NO ONE caring about gundam. So I just watch this community represent spring as BA and now I grin at the consequences of promoting spring with something which barely utilizes what the engine can do. I don't really lol, it isn't THAT amusing to me, but mostly I grin, like this -> :3
Not caring in every thread :D

Cheer up smoth, lets put a smile on this grinning face of yours.
knorke

Post by knorke »

represent spring as BA
At least it works. :regret:
BA has ALWAYS been playable through the ages.
That is the difference to eg, gundam which is afaik currently (=since months/year, lol) not playable online.
Same for various other projects that so "greatly utilize what the engine can do" but have not managed to get something playable released out and keep it updated.
smoth

Post by smoth »

knorke wrote:
represent spring as BA
At least it works. :regret:
BA has ALWAYS been playable through the ages.
That is the difference to eg, gundam which is afaik currently (=since months/year, lol) not playable online.
Same for various other projects that so "greatly utilize what the engine can do" but have not managed to get something playable released out and keep it updated.
Lol, so after I stop carring enough to keep a patched version out for you lot to ignore you claim that it somehow wasn't there over the years.

yeah, just like EE right, you guys appreciated it SOOO MUCH when fang was around constantly working on it.

BULLSHIT.

Don't give me that guilt line bullshit. Don't even begin. Don't give me that "gundam breaks" bullshit either. I have been fighting for years to get any consideration and frankly even when the devs favored BA/AA I was still playable.

So no it isn't like you dipshits would play gundam anyway. I will keep developing it my way because frankly you lot never give it a fair shot.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”