Want some exposure for Spring.... - Page 11

Want some exposure for Spring....

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Want some exposure for Spring....

Post by Forboding Angel »

I fail to see how any of this is helping zk? What I am seeing is scattered bad information about zk spread all over the place and not being updated to a unified ad.

Dimm, you're doing more harm than good. Post what you want to write here first before going and posting it all over the internet. Sigh. What did I say several pages back?
gajop

Post by gajop »

Why on earth would you be getting more points if it were a Linux only game? :/
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Try... reading?
Google_Frog wrote:The Platforms category has an option PC that encompasses Windows, Mac and Linux so we can't get points for saying it is a Linux game..
I will spell it out. They have a category called PC. When I searched for Windows it said "did you mean PC" and the same happened when I searched for Linux. Most games are Windows only so there is no reason for someone browsing this place to expect it to work on Linux.

For reasons including that one that site does not look like something Linux users would browse. It seems to be aimed mainly at commercial, console or mobile games which have a large enough presence for their developers and publishers to be entered to their preset categories.
dimm

Post by dimm »

Google_Frog wrote: Only 50 words are allowed for the description which is basically useless. Other games have whole pages so maybe we should try to find our how they did that.
I don't see that as bad. A description of the game and video or two is how i would want a game suggested to me. Also with similarities/tags.
Forboding Angel wrote: a unified ad.
Post what you want to write here first before going and posting it all over the internet.
So post a unified ad [pause] that should already be on the ZK site imho. see the giant bomb blurb ad and criticize it
Google_Frog wrote:site does not look like something Linux users would browse. It seems to be aimed mainly at commercial,
All true but the similarities section and lists will draw attention. Anyone who plays OS strategy games or supcom or TA will see ZK in the similars or lists.
dimm

Post by dimm »

http://playthisthing.com is a review site of indie games with 36 pages of 30 games suggested for review and about 7 / 30 getting published. Before i suggest a review of it http://playthisthing.com/suggestions , I would like to write out the wonderful development scheme Spring uses.

Its a common labor saving practice to build one's game on an existing engine as a mod. A number of developers plan their engines and games accordingly. The spring engine development scheme takes this one step further by concurrently developing games(unit sets), maps, lobbies, AI, scenarios, engine and interface. Game designers have a working system to modify, contributors can expect their effort to be used in many games and gamers can customize their experience from a huge variety of pieces. Development of Spring RTS Engine and its assets has been ongoing since 2005 with each new project piggy backing on the success of predecessors. Game genera range from a flight sim to a dota to the rts the engine was designed for.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

No players care about its development practices so long as it gets regular updates.

Why are you trying to sell a game based upon merits of how it is developed?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

because its comon practice? I mean, all that pc_games, lets take a look in the ------- to see what is cooking, comes down to players taking a interest to stuff in the making. As long as its not desolving into technical details, and just is basically just a feeding the hype.. why not.

I think thats actually the biggest marketing contra of open source. There is not anticipation. The thing is either there, or the people who do it dont post stuff and dont have someone to get people wanting.

HEIL HATER
dimm

Post by dimm »

Play this things editors may be interested, then there's future contributors who, ironically, are the real targets of any recruitment campaign. So it seems to meet community's approval i will grab lot's off g_f's review, add this paragraph and a few of my own lines?
dimm

Post by dimm »

My checklist; http://www.listal.com/list/game-databases-for-zerok .
submitted to a few more DB most notably tigdb. And googlefrog shouldn't someone else do all the 'publicizing'?

Here's boardgamegeek; http://videogamegeek.com/videogame/122016/zero-k
dimm

Post by dimm »

Moby games submission got approved! : http://www.mobygames.com/game/zero-k
The description needs lots of work.
knorke

Post by knorke »

dimm wrote:The description needs lots of work.
yes. There is much wrong and bad text, most of which was already mentioned in this thread.
At least please keep your texts limited to zero-K and avoid statements about Spring in general (or other spring games)
I feel trolled by this.

http://code.google.com/p/zero-k/wiki/Advertisement
dimm

Post by dimm »

Can i post this as a review for play thing?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KWk ... 1Xz2U/edit
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Not without modification.

Eg: "At this moment 25 people are playing ZK." why???????
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Description

Zero-K is "the" 3D RTS you want to go if you got fed up with comercial RTS-Games.

Balancing Issues? ZK has a active Development team, which listens (way to much) to every demand for change in the IRC-channel. Boost that tank! They do!
Servers turned off, 3 months after release? Not with Zero-K. Its open Source, which means there is no company behind it that can run out of money.
No Deadgrades! Remember those funny balance-belly-up-grades that occur if they wants to sell you the nextBigThing 2? Not here. Not with ZK.
Zero-K has absolute astonishing graphics! (Which make it look like warez or a fraud. Nobody in its right mind would give THIS away for free.)
Its really about Strategy! Its no longer about who hast the best mouse reflexes!
So if you were just good at Starcraft.. well, we cant all be Generals!

Play in team Matches with up to 12 people per side (with every side up to 1000 Units), or try the Coop and defend with your friends a Fortress against the Alien AI.
Over 3000 (in words: threethousand) maps, deformable terrain, a socketable Interface, Assistance AIs, a Zoom that goes straight into the Stratosphere (would go higher but the Moon), accurate Physics, Robots, Tanks, Planes and massive Shipyards that release stuff - that will wet your pants.
Aim for a higher goal? Conquering one planet is not good enough? Then join the Zero-K Planetwars.
Here, every victory on the ground conquers a planet on the galaxy Map, leading to Multiplayer Matches that leave more behind then some nuked Down Forrest and glowing Wreckage.
A hook, theres got to be a hook to that. Life has to be mean. I mean, Air aint free, Water aint free, so why shall thee?
Well, there are only around [741] free-tickets left, after that, Zero-K will go comercial, and then this will get really expensive. So get it while you can!
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

and for christs sake cut that first person thing out .. battlezone wasnt that succesfull... people could really get this in the wrong throat..
dimm

Post by dimm »

PicassoCT wrote:and for christs sake cut that first person thing out .. battlezone wasnt that succesfull... people could really get this in the wrong throat..
Whut where? oh you mean i need to add to 2nd to last paragraph.
Google_Frog wrote:Not without modification.

Eg: "At this moment 25 people are playing ZK." why???????
Because readers need to know there is someone to play multiplayer with. Lots of freeware especially OS games have noone playing multiplayer.

Go ahead.

Edit: new "where to advertise" list
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Knc ... pU62Y/edit
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

PicassoCT wrote:Description

Zero-K is "the" 3D RTS you want to go if you got fed up with comercial RTS-Games.

Balancing Issues? ZK has a active Development team, which listens (way to much) to every demand for change in the IRC-channel. Boost that tank! They do!
Servers turned off, 3 months after release? Not with Zero-K. Its open Source, which means there is no company behind it that can run out of money.
No Deadgrades! Remember those funny balance-belly-up-grades that occur if they wants to sell you the nextBigThing 2? Not here. Not with ZK.
Zero-K has absolute astonishing graphics! (Which make it look like warez or a fraud. Nobody in its right mind would give THIS away for free.)
Its really about Strategy! Its no longer about who hast the best mouse reflexes!
So if you were just good at Starcraft.. well, we cant all be Generals!

Play in team Matches with up to 12 people per side (with every side up to 1000 Units), or try the Coop and defend with your friends a Fortress against the Alien AI.
Over 3000 (in words: threethousand) maps, deformable terrain, a socketable Interface, Assistance AIs, a Zoom that goes straight into the Stratosphere (would go higher but the Moon), accurate Physics, Robots, Tanks, Planes and massive Shipyards that release stuff - that will wet your pants.
Aim for a higher goal? Conquering one planet is not good enough? Then join the Zero-K Planetwars.
Here, every victory on the ground conquers a planet on the galaxy Map, leading to Multiplayer Matches that leave more behind then some nuked Down Forrest and glowing Wreckage.
Get it while its glowing red hot!
Its better -still nobody uses it? I wonder why you ask for better Advertising, but then are to shy to post it. But then at least avoid discussing it in public, inciting other people to waste there time..
dimm

Post by dimm »

If you like i will post it on the escapist.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

that would be great.. even better would be if we had some way to measure what site attracts the most people. So if you could have some counters in the link..

yep, crappy picasso, never seen happy. ;)
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

We have google analytics on the zk site so we know it..

This is stats from last 30 days:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ahtbgg.png

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”