Want some exposure for Spring.... - Page 2

Want some exposure for Spring....

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Licho
Zero-K Developer

Re: Want some exposure for Spring....

Post by Licho »

smoth wrote:on the subject of MORE EXPOSURE...

WHY AM I THE ONLY SPRING PROJECT UP FOR INDIE OF THE YEAR ON INDIEDB!?!?

S44, EVO, ZK WTF GUIZE! ZK deserves to be on that list instead of me!
Because you are the project with dedicated PR person ;-)
smoth

Post by smoth »

I just post shit that people want to know. like really, my news posts SUCK from a pr perspective..

ZK needs a dedicated fanbo...news person with acess to the page and needs to post MORE SCHTUFFS..

From my experimentation:
things to post:

-news at least 1 time a month.
-- has pictures, talk about how you address THEIR concerns.
-- Ask questions get feedback, address any question.

-post pictures any time you have some new pretty thing.

-videos with tutorials

EASY PEASY LEMON SQUEEZY...

why u no?
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Because we don't have a good Zero K video, not that I can complain because I haven't helped but I find the trailer video Zero-K has now kinda bad when it could be so much better.
smoth

Post by smoth »

have you watched the gundam videos? they are crap. I have not made ANYTHING like what cabbage used make.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

smoth wrote:on the subject of MORE EXPOSURE...

WHY AM I THE ONLY SPRING PROJECT UP FOR INDIE OF THE YEAR ON INDIEDB!?!?

S44, EVO, ZK WTF GUIZE! ZK deserves to be on that list instead of me!
Well, you simply have an impressive fan-base. You are doing the PR-stuff very well and Gundam has a "natural" fan-base as it is based on pre-existing fiction.

Average profile visitors per day:
Gundam RTS: 250-300
Evolution RTS: 10-20
Spring 1944: 20-50
The Cursed: 70-120
ZeroK: 20-70
knorke

Post by knorke »

...and actual player numbers are inversely proportional.
Getting lots of page views is "easy", getting players to download, and care enough to keep trying when something does not work the first time, is not.
smoth

Post by smoth »

azaremoth wrote:S44, EVO, ZK WTF GUIZE! ZK deserves to be on that list instead of me!
Well, you simply have an impressive fan-base. You are doing the PR-stuff very well and Gundam has a "natural" fan-base as it is based on pre-existing fiction.[/quote]
SWIW should be larger, this is an english speaking site, english speaking people hate gundam because it is all yaoi and cartoon robot.. also PURE used to have more hits than grts before I started my PR experiments.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I personally dont hate gundam. But i was dissapointed by the lack of tentacles and screaming girls...
smoth

Post by smoth »

seriously though zk guys, you all should be advertising more. No offense to the other projects or my own.. but you guys should be on there instead of me.

Azare.. also since you are around today.. Y U NO?
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

knorke wrote:...and actual player numbers are inversely proportional.
Getting lots of page views is "easy", getting players to download, and care enough to keep trying when something does not work the first time, is not.
D’accord - but we need to attract some people in the first place. Looking at Gundam or my game - about 1/5 of the visitors are download something. The probleme is that the number of people playing online is about zero. It is some kind of circle: New players don`t find someone to play with and join other games (BA, ZeroK) or leave. Thus there are no people for even newer players to play with. I have no idea how to change that.
smoth wrote:this is an english speaking site, english speaking people hate gundam because it is all yaoi and cartoon robot..
How is your Japanese then?! :wink:
smoth wrote:Azare.. also since you are around today.. Y U NO?
I simply don`t have any idea how to attract enough people to vote for my game. Besides - your game is well placed in the Top 100. You just need a new release soon.
smoth

Post by smoth »

azaremoth wrote:D’accord - but we need to attract some people in the first place. Looking at Gundam or my game - about 1/5 of the visitors are download something. The problem is that the number of people playing online is about zero. It is some kind of circle: New players don`t find someone to play with and join other games (BA, ZeroK) or leave. Thus there are no people for even newer players to play with. I have no idea how to change that.
In the past I used to host and drum up games at release. it would keep things going for a little while then died shortly after I was hosting. Flint did the same for EE. You just need someone out there playing games and drumming up players. At least 2-3 so they can be playing and pull new people into their already existing game.

After that you need to do update releases to keep them playing because:
A) they will feel like they matter
B) they will see that their complaints are met and not feel frustrated by existing bugs.

Another issue with spring is HOSTING and interacting with that damned autohost. People have a really hard time with it. Gundam has seen more regular play with the autohost and it's players do eventually figure out how to host their own games..(84 has kinda killed gundam right now though). Even still without someone drumming up new games people get tired of playing with the same person. You need at least 2-3 people to get started or else players go => dsd..

azaremoth wrote:
smoth wrote:this is an english speaking site, english speaking people hate gundam because it is all yaoi and cartoon robot..
How is your Japanese then?! :wink:
My Japanese is weak and my chinese(mand/cant) is non-existant but I had about 11 hk players for a while playing just fine.
azaremoth wrote:
smoth wrote:Azare.. also since you are around today.. Y U NO?
I simply don`t have any idea how to attract enough people to vote for my game. Besides - your game is well placed in the Top 100. You just need a new release soon.
I just gave you some suggestions. Seriously, you guys treat indiedb as a backwater instead of a door to a new market for players. I don't WANT to be in the top 100. I like obscurity, popularity means people play, people playing means they have demands and needs to be met. I don't feel gundam is ready for that, not until it has melee anyway.

Azare, IMO, the ONLY issue with cursed is the animations need more work. Your project is pretty swank, it could use some visuals tweaks on some units but otherwise, I think it is pretty damn swank and DEFINITELY friendly on the eyes(although I would avoid the titties in your images)..

and ZK has the whole planet wars thing... LICHO do you realize how HUGELY POPULAR THAT WOULD BE ON INDIEDB?!?! news posts about PW wins/losses, clans status etc? HUGE
Columbus

Post by Columbus »

Want exposure? Put a spring related meme on 9GAG.com.
That'll bring in lotsa noobs :D
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Smoth - well nobody has time or inclination to do the posting. It would be best to get some native angrish speaker interested in doing this..

Otherside, you think this sux?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkZaLLyh ... re=related
smoth

Post by smoth »

every month, 1 time, about 4 hours is what the news post takes licho.

if you did a planet wars update post it would take maybe 2 to get some cool shots and write a blurb.

get midknight's little ass to do it. he is hyperactive, bored and claims to be a ca dev.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Licho wrote:Smoth - well nobody has time or inclination to do the posting. It would be best to get some native angrish speaker interested in doing this..

Otherside, you think this sux?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkZaLLyh ... re=related

Its okay, the music choice is fine however it doesn't exactly make the game look exciting or epic. It could have done with a nuke explosion in the end and more fighting, a better map. Jump jets not displayed.

Its okay but it could be better. Also any 3do units or stuff that looks unfinished/crap/out of place should not be focused on (Missile towers, Imo penetrator)
smoth

Post by smoth »

I was actually mildly annoyed about the music choice as I had spent weeks finding a library of music and an artist that would give me permission to use it. I had made a polite request that ZK not use it and find some other tracks. They both found other tracks and used it. Not like I had exclusive rights to it but I felt it was part of establishing gundam's identity in the spring pile o projects. Evo has Wasps tracks, gundam had dan's. I will have to spend more time trying to find something appropriate AGAIN with an appropriate collection and obliging artist then add that to grts and replace the tracks and hope it doesn't get swooped again.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

smoth wrote:(although I would avoid the titties in your images)
Pasties since version 1.13 :wink:

Posting news and doing advertising takes me (and most propably all other non-native speakers) lots of time that I rather would invest into game development. If there are willing people out there we should promote them to Spring's chief international PR managers 4tw. :wink:

Do we actually have some kind of webpage-list for site where we should promote/provide our games? things like:

http://www.strategyinformer.com
http://download.chip.eu
http://www.indiedb.com
knorke

Post by knorke »

Do we actually have some kind of webpage-list for site where we should promote/provide our games?
I would be carefull to carelessly publish on too many sites. There are SO many sites hosting old versions of spring/games with old ugly screenshots etc, because they never get updated.
imo that does more harm than good, especially since they often have show up further at top when googling "free multiplayer rts"
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

You noticed it? Smoth is trying to censor us, using his hysteric country as a reason. :D

I think he is just jealous because gundams dont have them. ;)
scifi

Post by scifi »

First we want to advertise a multiplayer experience, i dont wanna be mean, but only BA and Zero-k have a decent amount of people playing it.

BA has TA-IP and not to mention declining playerbase, and lack of interest for a profound developer (not mantainer).

I think we arent discussing the problem here, we are not being unfair to other Mods, by asking to review Zero-k. Its the only mod you can actualy advertise and get a decent return value.
1º It has players (some)
2º It has support and more than one dev

Im not a Zero-k fanatic, i dislike some parts of it, and i rarely play it.
But if we asked to review Spring imagine all the mods a guy would have to play.

If you get people into Zero-k, you get them into spring , and i think thats the plan. Later on they can play gundam or whatever mod they like, (even BA for that matter).

PS: This is the rigth time to advertise, dont wait another 10 years

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”