Want some exposure for Spring.... - Page 13

Want some exposure for Spring....

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

dimm

Re: Want some exposure for Spring....

Post by dimm »

Do you mean having a game keep up with the engine API is difficult?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Drastic oversimplification to make what point?
dimm

Post by dimm »

ZK lobby keeps separate engine folders. What prevents me from playing Gundam on an older engine version? I don't remember this being a highly advertised part of it though. I had to kind of figure it out.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

All thats needed is to tell me which engine version you want to host smoth, i can switch your autohosts to that version and at least ZKL users will be able to play it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

dimm:
besides the fact that it is almost 2 years old nothing. I think the old gundam is inferior to what I have and see no reason to promote it.

Licho:
Nah man, I ain't even worried but thanks for the offer.

to the people who have an imaginary competition in their mind with me competing against BA/other spring projects:
To be very clear, AGAIN, I don't WANT gundam rts advertised. Every time I speak against the ba community the same old chestnut comes up "gundam sucks" "gundam blah blah" you all assume that I somehow want gundam to have the players BA has. this is not the case. You seem to forget that I don't want to be popular. I want other games to be seen.

Let's pick on one... Cursed. damnit, how can people not be interested!?! It is really neat! If I was not doing gundam rts, I probably would be playing this because I <3 skeletons and demons.

so when I say that I am not pleased with spring being presented as "ba+spring" = "TA in 3d" don't make the faulty assumption that I somehow believe my own game would be a savior to the engine. I am not sure if it is a falacy being used to try and counter my point like some akward child by going "your work is no better." Maybe that people think an ad hominem against my "ability" to put a new version out this week somehow ruins my argument. It doesn't. I kept stable gundam running for years, now I simply don't see the point. I will work on what I work on and release when I am ready.

Like licho said, if I really wanted to gundam's springie could be using an old version of spring... this hasn't slipped my notice. I choose not to do it.

I know it is hard to believe, but again, I don't want to be popular or the main game played on the server. Sure one day I might decide gundam is where I want to start promoting it but I won't be talking to ANYONE here when I do.
knorke

Post by knorke »

smoth:
I am only annoyed because you once again did not miss an opportunity to play the "omg i am so alone in spring=ba land" card.
I am fed up with all these posts like: "does not utilize all teh power of spring", "anybody who can edit textfiles can mod *A", "lol not enough lua" (Forebording Angel does that too, wtf man)
Also, who do you mean by "you guys", "you lot", "you dipshits" and "people"?
The rest is springforum circletalk.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Lol when have i said not enough lua?
smoth

Post by smoth »

knorke wrote:"omg i am so alone in spring=ba land"
this perception is in your head. Seriously, that is all your assumption about my feelings and motives.
knorke wrote:I am fed up with all these posts like: "does not utilize all teh power of spring", "anybody who can edit textfiles can mod *A", "lol not enough lua" (Forebording Angel does that too, wtf man)
Promotional thread.. people are bewildered about why people thing spring is a shitty beta based on looks.
knorke wrote:Also, who do you mean by "you guys", "you lot", "you dipshits" and "people"?
if I bothered to list people I would just make enemies and it doesn't really matter because you don't really care.
knorke wrote:The rest is springforum circletalk.
Circletalk? This doesn't mean anything.

Care to retry, your post doesn't really help me reach a sort of understanding.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Gundam is probably the nicest and most well made game atm. This is coming from someone who played *A for all these years.

But it's a catch 22.. Without players online there will be no players online. I'd imagine you could have a huge untapped japanese player group. I've never seen a jap in the lobby..
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Cheesecan wrote:Gundam is probably the nicest and most well made game atm. This is coming from someone who played *A for all these years.
try out ZK
gajop

Post by gajop »

Cheesecan wrote:I'd imagine you could have a huge untapped japanese player group. I've never seen a jap in the lobby..
I'd assume it would be great to have ingame unicode support if you want a larger presence from countries where roman script can't be used effectively.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Had a large group of chinese players playing for months. They played at odd hours and most of them didn't understand english so I was unable to help them. They would just sit, build 100s of troops, and then just send them at each other's bases. It was terribly boring to watch and they were playing in a away suggesting that they didn't understand the armor classes. I am working on several things to address these issues. One of the things I want to do is an ingame manual using icons like the ones I see in asian gundam games, This should help partially bridge the gap. It all takes a lot of time, not because working in spring is too difficult. It is taking a long time because I am also addressing several long standing bugs and dealing with news ones I introduced. It would be done already if I wasn't so busy IRL.

Cheesecan, thank you for the compliment.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Would be cool if buttons could be translated by the users capable of both languages ingame. You need a japanese/chinese/korean translator smoth. So hire one.

The problem is, the upgrades are not visible on the modells. If there was some Sign ( A shield with a big +1 as a ceg..) over every unit upgraded.. you could see. Red crosses for health upgrades, swoards+1 to weapon upgrades. It breaks the anime style, but it would solve that missunderstanding what a upgrade will result in.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:
Cheesecan wrote:Gundam is probably the nicest and most well made game atm. This is coming from someone who played *A for all these years.
try out ZK
ZK is nowhere near as polished, IK. In many areas zk is still very rough around the edges. That isn't meant as a detraction, it simply means that in all things visual, zk still has some work to do.
smoth

Post by smoth »

PicassoCT wrote:Would be cool if buttons could be translated by the users capable of both languages ingame. You need a japanese/chinese/korean translator smoth. So hire one.
IIRC didn't ZK do this? or start to?
PicassoCT wrote:The problem is, the upgrades are not visible on the modells. If there was some Sign ( A shield with a big +1 as a ceg..) over every unit upgraded.. you could see. Red crosses for health upgrades, swoards+1 to weapon upgrades. It breaks the anime style, but it would solve that missunderstanding what a upgrade will result in.
Most of the "upgrades" to units are things like increase to squad count after build or opening up additional builds. Please try the svn. the only unit that gets upgraded to new stats does look different.(rx78-2 to g3 gundam). Asside from that there is the acguy upgrade to add the stealth tag, something that may be taken out.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

im still on 1.26.. and on 82.7 until recently jk convinced me..
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

The problem is that you cant leave notices behind on the irc-channels Something like "will check back on Friday 16:00 ETM" .. that way you could have them in all at once, instead of now and then a dissapointed soul
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah so far best I have been able to do is stick around for a day or 2 after release. The moment I leave, people don't host and the game count dies again. Hopefully the auto host will help prevent it this time.

I also have the topic in the gundam channel telling people to bug me on my forum which few do.
dimm

Post by dimm »

The real test of strategy gamers is how well they can adapt and make new strategies. Make a club or server or PW that switches between mods like the rest do between maps.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

smoth wrote:yeah so far best I have been able to do is stick around for a day or 2 after release. The moment I leave, people don't host and the game count dies again. Hopefully the auto host will help prevent it this time.

I also have the topic in the gundam channel telling people to bug me on my forum which few do.
not enough.. lots of dead authosts around. You need a scheduler. So you can organize your battle even with a player base below the brown_dwarf weight necessary for normal games.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”