Want some exposure for Spring.... - Page 4

Want some exposure for Spring....

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Want some exposure for Spring....

Post by smoth »

luckywaldo7 wrote:The problem isn't Spring, because Gundam, KP, Evo, etc, all have their own installers as well. Just no one seems particularly interested in maintaining a BA installer, at least, not since Hobo Joe: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23980.
the biggest problems are just starting the freaking game:

Hosting.
- People cannot figure it out. even with gundam's single player launcher.. they run into #2.. So waiting for lualobby.

Shitty drivers of intel and ATI..
- 90% of the time a player wants to play and cannot it is an intel chipset spazzing.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

smoth wrote:
luckywaldo7 wrote:The problem isn't Spring, because Gundam, KP, Evo, etc, all have their own installers as well. Just no one seems particularly interested in maintaining a BA installer, at least, not since Hobo Joe: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23980.
the biggest problems are just starting the freaking game:

Hosting.
- People cannot figure it out. even with gundam's single player launcher.. they run into #2.. So waiting for lualobby.

Shitty drivers of intel and ATI..
- 90% of the time a player wants to play and cannot it is an intel chipset spazzing.
It's amd now... Anyways amd is focusing on direct x for gaming and not Opengl. The main reason (Unless you're a opengl fanboy) we use openGL is multiplatform support. Some of the devs are linux users if I recall correctly.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

smoth wrote: the biggest problems are just starting the freaking game:

Hosting.
Thats only problem in SL .. in ZKL its just one click and it uses external autohost hosted on springrts.com -> no networking issues or nubquit issues.
smoth wrote: Shitty drivers of intel and ATI..
That is very annoying problem indeed :(
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

On the topic of TB I think ZKL should fix the 3 IE script errors on startup. The errors don't appear to do anything but they look pretty unprofessional.

Apart from that installing is not a problem. Forget the old days of downloading the engine and moving files around. ZK has a one click installer that does everything to playing a singleplayer or multiplayer game.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

azaremoth wrote:
smoth wrote:on the subject of MORE EXPOSURE...

WHY AM I THE ONLY SPRING PROJECT UP FOR INDIE OF THE YEAR ON INDIEDB!?!?

S44, EVO, ZK WTF GUIZE! ZK deserves to be on that list instead of me!
Well, you simply have an impressive fan-base. You are doing the PR-stuff very well and Gundam has a "natural" fan-base as it is based on pre-existing fiction.

Average profile visitors per day:
Gundam RTS: 250-300
Evolution RTS: 10-20
Spring 1944: 20-50
The Cursed: 70-120
ZeroK: 20-70
Actually average visitors for the evo page on desura (which is also moddb/indiedb) is 189 per day.
MileyCyrus

Post by MileyCyrus »

how can you suggest 0K to be reviewd by TB?
I mean he will utterly kill it...You still have simple stuff like text bubbles and console chat being on by default at the same time..
Such primitive silly issues.
He probably wont even agree to review it after giving it a glance.
For a good first impression sort out the things a reviewer will see first...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I'm going to say this only once, and I'm not going to spend much (if any) time debating the point.

Imo, zk and evo are the only presentable games in spring atm. If you're wondering why, this is it.

It has nothing to do with the merits of the games themselves. It is how the game is presented to the end user.

Evo install from desura does pretty much everything for you. The hardest part is registering a nick on the lobby. If the end user is running moderate - decent hardware, they also have no need to ever tough the settings program (though it does come up automatically upon first launch).

I should add that Gundam has the beginnings of a nice presentation and does well with what it has, but it's too disjointed. I am aware that smoth has a lot more going on than what we see, so that is taken into consideration.

Where evo suffers the most upon presentation is the lobby. People simply do not like springlobby, and no offense meant to anyone who has put hours and hours of work into it, but I can understand why. It is not user friendly.

The lobby is where zk shines the most upon presentation. It is nice, mostly sleek and has a lot of really cool crap just built into it.

Where zk falls short, is the fact that the lobby installs itself to appdata, which is very not awesome. Most end users won't care (so in end user eyes it doesn't really count against zk much), but it is a bad thing.

Ingame:
Ingame, evo presentation is pretty much perfect. The ui is set up for the user and there is no need to adjust it. Certain things could be better of course, but overall, it gets a good score.

ZK falls short in this instance, because zk is not set up well for the first time, causing the user's first multiplayer game to be a clusterfuck of trying to figure out wtf is going on and fighting with the ui. This has been improved somewhat, but it still needs a lot of love.

And there you have it. Let the baw begin. I didn't mention KP because while it's functional, it's presentation is lackluster and boring.
smoth wrote: S44, EVO, ZK WTF GUIZE! ZK deserves to be on that list instead of me!
http://www.evolutionrts.info/1216/vote- ... -the-year/ << posted December 3rd. I made that post more for pomp and circumstance than anything. I had no delusions about actually getting anywhere with it.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Forboding Angel wrote:Actually average visitors for the evo page on desura (which is also moddb/indiedb) is 189 per day.
Sorry - my fault. :oops:
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

He didnt even mention JW... and it was I who invented the invisible lobby. My lobby is so completely transparent for the users they get invisible themselve. Have you ever heard someone complain about picasso-lobby. Ever? See how good it is ;)

Now look on your channel, look at all the games you got, for having no singleplayer. Look at my channel. We are equals in poverty. Step from your soapbox Sir Forb, youre still in the Ratrace, and that balancing on the noose of others doesnt help your pivot.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Ingame, evo presentation is pretty much perfect. The ui is set up for the user and there is no need to adjust it. Certain things could be better of course, but overall, it gets a good score.

ZK falls short in this instance, because zk is not set up well for the first time, causing the user's first multiplayer game to be a clusterfuck of trying to figure out wtf is going on and fighting with the ui. This has been improved somewhat, but it still needs a lot of love.
I think you've greatly exaggerated that point either through lack of up to date knowledge or personal preference. The UI is set up for the new user and I think it is fairly good, my UI has little deviation from the default (except bubbles, idk why we have those). But I'd like good feedback on this and it is used. In the last UI thread I fixed up the inconsistent element borders and I'm sure there is some room for improvement (PM is probably best).
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

guys, forgott for once the infights about uis.. what we need is spring on lans and in singleplayers

Thats were it phailed when i tryied to introduce it to friends and family.

Were is the singleplayer?

How do we set up a server and connect?

Both things that cant be answered without a helper or tutorial.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Google_Frog wrote:]I think you've greatly exaggerated that point either through lack of up to date knowledge or personal preference. The UI is set up for the new user and I think it is fairly good, my UI has little deviation from the default (except bubbles, idk why we have those). But I'd like good feedback on this and it is used. In the last UI thread I fixed up the inconsistent element borders and I'm sure there is some room for improvement (PM is probably best).
I would cite lack of knowledge and cede the point.

Keep in mind, my POV was based on the first thing you see what the game starts. In evo you're ready to go, you have to do nothing with the UI.

I need to reinstall ZK again in a non-spring-raped VM and have a clean look.

I'm not sure you guys realize it, but in order to do a proper test you need a 100% clean system, which means deleting all the spring bullshit out of appdata and the millions of other places spring likes to go poo.

@picasso, what I read I took as a joke, but in the event that you're serious...

The lobby is where evo fails. It's too confusing for new users, so I lose them there. Even though it has been streamlined for evo, there is no way springlobby can hold a candle next to zklobby's ease of use. This is why you don't see a lot of desura people hanging out in the evo lobby. ZK actually gets people ingame, and since zk doesn't suck, people stick around. I get a lot of people sticking to using the singleplayer tab. It's very sucky and frustrating, but that's the way the balls roll and I'm basically powerless to do anyhting about it. SL was not designed for single game use, SL was designed to take advantage of just about every feature spring offers and ease of use suffers as a result.
smoth

Post by smoth »

not to interupt the impending penis battle..

Forb: ZK offers many features EVO does not, not the least of which is it's own lobby and website all with a unified theme. Thier website is phenominal, you really should check it out. There is planet wars and the hive of players. I don't think it is fair to dismiss it as you have.

Yes, I remember that you was nominated last year, but you are not there THIS year. NOT GOOD. you have only had a handful of updates lacking any unitfied direction, scant shots and mostly feels like you post as an after thought instead of a message directly to your fans there.

As I said, zk and evorts should have been up for IOTY but they are not which tells me people don't visit your profile enough. While it is nice you get on average something like 100, I get average around 300-400 a day, with a game that doesn't even work in the current build and isn't on desura! Your watchers are important and nuturing an interest there is important I think as it is easy to do. ESP as much as you like to talk about evo and cheer on about features(which is very good for pr). Instead when I looked at your desura profile the first post I see is you being sour to a player about his comparing evo to supcom, I hate to tell you but at first glance, that is a bout right man, it looks kinda like supcom.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

smoth wrote: Forb: ZK offers many features EVO does not, not the least of which is it's own lobby and website all with a unified theme. Thier website is phenominal, you really should check it out. There is planet wars and the hive of players. I don't think it is fair to dismiss it as you have.
I didn't dismiss it at all... How did you get that idea? I stated that the ingame UI needed some work so that there was no need for the player to do anything with ui/positioning. However, googlefrog jsut pointed out that I may be basing my statements on old information, at which point I agreed and would need to install zk again on a vm to verify my statements.

I am well aware of what the zk lobby does and the website does. This analysis was based upon first time impressions, not upon what you see when you start stopping and reading stuff.

Evo fails to get people ingame due to confusion over the lobby, which equals an automatic loss.

ZK manages to get people ingame, and since zk is not a steaming pile of crap (for those of you too thick to understand, I'm saying that zk is a good game), people stick around for more than one game usually which equals a fledgling but growing community.

ZK's huge issue is the fact that it installs itself to appdata. This is a very bad practice, and causes problems for any other spring game that isn't using isolation mode, as a ZK install is basically causing spring-rape on that user's computer (regardless of the fact that the user doesn't know it, so this is more of a dev beef than an end user beef).
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Even if he totally slaughters spring games somebody would still think it sounds cool and try it..
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Marketing Spring instead of a single game install or something similar would be an idiotic move.

Why don't you go ask him to do a wtf is of source, unity, or torque?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Also, alienate, hundreds of thousands of people and permanently damage the reputations of the spring games that don't suck and are trying to do it right, while gaining 20 or 30 people who bother to check it out.

Good thing you aren't a marketing manager anywhere.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

I... I don't think that was his implication, Forb.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Cheesecan wrote:Even if he totally slaughters spring games somebody would still think it sounds cool and try it..
In other words, while his fans would stay away, and likely anyone who saw the vid, there would be one person who would check it out.
MidKnight wrote:I... I don't think that was his implication, Forb.
Orly? How you figure? That is exactly what he said.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Just leave it all to forb, massive number of evogames proves hi point..

sharp tongue produces +3 damage against all trollz

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”