Freezes: My Pc temperatures too high?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

My Pc has been freezing (totally freeze and blackout) about two days, and I've tried to investigate what could be causing it.

I installed Pc wizard 2012 to check out the temperatures, and were wondering if such hight temperatures can really be true:

Hardware Monitoring : Winbond W83627THF
:
MSI-7100 : nVidia SMI
Processor Temperature : 82 °C
Mainboard Temperature : 157 °C
:
Hardware Monitoring : ACPI
THRM : 21.8 °C
:
Processor Voltage :
Voltage : 1.350 V
:
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 : Sensor DTS
Core 1 : 85 °C
Core 2 : 86 °C
:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS : nVidia Driver + Thermal Diode + Analog Devices ADT7473
Temperature : 107 °C
Temperature (Diode) : 104.9 °C
Temperature (GPU) : 107 °C
Fan : 100%
Voltage : 1.300 V
:
Hard Disk Monitoring : S.M.A.R.T
Hard Disk SAMSUNG SP0802N : 67 °C
Hard Disk Maxtor 6Y120M0 : 81 °C

Is this normal? wtf? and my gpu fan is at 100%, how can I ever decrease the temperatures?
smoth

Re: Freezes: My Pc temperatures too high?

Post by smoth »

is your case near a wall?
Degenerated5

Post by Degenerated5 »

Maybe old motherboard battery.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

smoth wrote:is your case near a wall?
Yeah, kinda, right next to a bookcase.
smoth

Post by smoth »

try turning it off, moving it a foot away from the wall turn it on and see if that helps.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

I just had to deal with overheating in my PC. What I had read is that if your processors get within 20-15 degrees of the Tjunction Max of your processor (apparently a temperature your processor should not exceed) then you are fine. My Tj. Max is 100, I'm not sure if yours is. You are 85 and 86 which means you're really close to the end of that "safe zone" so that is probably what is happening.

I think you can also change the temperature at which your PC shuts down due to temperature. I wouldn't do that myself though :?

I had to buy new thermal paste (with diamonds in it :shock: ) and reapply it to the seal between my CPU and the heatsink. You could also try installing a bigger/better fan into the case? Not really sure, I am not the person to come to for hardware assistance.

Just thought I'd share what I had recently found :wink:
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Well, Bios cpu temperature check told 78 celcius for CPU, so It's pretty close to the truth. I think the cpu temperature is okay.

An explanation for the high temperature of the motherboard might be that while the case is close to the bookcase, the sensor just detects overall heat, thus being a bit biased. Also bios told that system temperature were about 80 celcius.

However, according to Pc wizard, GFX load is 0%, and the temperature is 110 celcius. That is just wtf?

Have to open my PC next...
knorke

Post by knorke »

seems lolish.
The other values could be realistic when under load but still very high.
Is that right after boot or after lolgaming?
See in bios if temperatures are different to program. Touch the heat sinks. Did you ever check temperatures when pc worked normal?
instability could also be too weak powersupply.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

knorke wrote:
seems lolish.
The other values could be realistic when under load but still very high.
Is that right after boot or after lolgaming?
This might be the source of the problem.

I opened the case and my fingers literally got burned when I touched the casing.

It wasnt far from burning, I could smell the melting plastic and burning dust.

Well, after a small cooldown, Everything went back to normal, except the motherboard:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware Monitoring : Winbond W83627THF
:
MSI-7100 : nVidia SMI
Processor Temperature : 47 °C
:
Hardware Monitoring : ACPI
THRM : 21.8 °C
:
Processor Voltage :
Voltage : 1.350 V
:
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 : Sensor DTS
Core 1 : 53 °C
Core 2 : 53 °C
:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS : nVidia Driver + Thermal Diode + Analog Devices ADT7473
Temperature : 68 °C
Temperature (Diode) : 65.7 °C
Temperature (GPU) : 69 °C
Fan : 60%
Voltage : 1.300 V
:
Hard Disk Monitoring : S.M.A.R.T
Hard Disk SAMSUNG SP0802N : 49 °C
Hard Disk Maxtor 6Y120M0 : 53 °C

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could cook sausages on my mobo...

What could be causing this?
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

what sort of cooling system do you have? might be time to cram some fans in there
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Yeah, set up proper case ventillation - and for the love of god, remove the dust buildup on the heatsinks.

Also, I find speedfan to be a wonderful temp management solution, as it can use the PWM drives for the fans.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Well, I have pretty decent fan based cooling system. Frontpanel sucks new air in, and backpanel out. CPU fan is also not default, but a bit more powerful.

Once I put the pc on, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

It cant be because of the bad cooling system. Something is causing extra heat on the system...

It's not the dust either, I keep my pc pretty clean. It was just the crazy heat that caused the smell.

The motherboard temperature is obviously not valid, since it doesnt change a bit and is so high. It just cant be true. So I must still search for the cause.

Also, My system has been running really slow couple of months now.

It maybe time to buy a new pc...
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Does the front and back panel have a dust filter on it? Imo fans work best with completely unimpeded airflow - not even a fine grill is permitted in my builds. It allows for minimal fan speed for most air flow.

Could we have some pics, perhaps? I dont believe one should throw out a perfectly good pc because its 'hot and slow'. It wasnt so when you bought it, so something changed since.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Beherith wrote:Does the front and back panel have a dust filter on it? Imo fans work best with completely unimpeded airflow - not even a fine grill is permitted in my builds. It allows for minimal fan speed for most air flow.

Could we have some pics, perhaps? I dont believe one should throw out a perfectly good pc because its 'hot and slow'. It wasnt so when you bought it, so something changed since.
There is a dust filters on both sides. I wouldnt really bother taking pics becuase it's pretty basic cooling system, although it should work decently also. At least it has worked for many years!

My PC is like 6 years old, only CPU and GPU got upgraded about three years ago. Since then, it has been running pretty good. This freezing started yesterday. Ive been monitoring the temperatures since today, and they have been rising constantly while the pc system is running, so something is really causing extra heat, considering there has not been any changes in the setup.

My pc is like a sensitive ecosystem: it can take certain amount of pollution to some extent, but after that it just overheats, and collapses :-)
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Remove the dust filters, they are worthless. See your temps drop immediately.
knorke

Post by knorke »

yes, pics please. I want to see the computer that heats up its case to burning temperature!
Degenerated5

Post by Degenerated5 »

SirArtturi wrote:My PC is like 6 years old
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

It almost sounds like your mainboard chips are overheating, where the processor is a little hot, but probably still fine.

My mainboard has a small fan and a heatsink on it. Does your mainboard have a fan or heatsink? Has the fan stopped running? Is the heatsink insanely dusty? Has the heatsink lifted off the board for some reason?

The other obvious thing to be aware of, under load your machine will run hotter. If you're skirting limits already, putting more stress on your machine will cause it to crash more often. Virus scanners/machine maintenance running too often will exacerbate the problem, pretty much anything that uses system resources regularly will actually.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

degenerated5, could you explain a bit, how does cmos battery affect on overheating?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

So you have not removed dust filters yet? I am disappoint in your lack of trust.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”