Recommendations for hardware with 3D vision

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Godde

Post by Godde »

I'm planning on getting a new computer and a 3D screen or something such as that.

So far I've only concluded that nvidia graphics card assure that they would be able to display 3D vision in like any 3D game if I understood it correctly.

Anyone have experience if there are some other options than using nvidia graphics cards?

What label should I look for when searching for 3D screens?

120 mhz?

3D-ready?

Anyone having problem with sore eyes from certain googles or screens?

I plan to spend between 800-2000 euro on a computer and screen.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: Recommendations for hardware with 3D vision

Post by CarRepairer »

Get a passive 3D system instead of active. I have a zalman monitor and LG now makes them too. No headaches, no crosstalk, glasses are $10 instead of $150.
Prominence

Post by Prominence »

Zalman is definitely a great choice and their monitor is IPS panel, which is one of the best type monitor you can get. LG too makes some IPS panels which makes them another great choice.

And Samsung have some monitors that have built in TV tuners which is nice, but I don't know if they are active or passive 3D.
Last edited by Prominence on 17 Jan 2012, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
Godde

Post by Godde »

I couldn't find any Zalmans 3d monitors easily available in Sweden so I went for nvidia 3d vision and a Benq XL2410T screen.

Any advice on how to set it up for spring?
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

You can't set it up for spring. If you wanted to play spring in 3D you should have taken my advice and gone for a passive setup. Here's a monitor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004WK3R4U
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

:o

Woah, harsh!

...He's right, though. With active 3D, your card needs to pump out 120 FPS, in alternating viewpoints. I'll bet we could get it working with some OGL wizardry, though.

...Shame that none fo the OGL wizards own active 3D displays. But then again, active 3D tech does kinda suck.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

I don't think it is possible. Nvidia 3D vision hardware must interact with the rendering pipeline. It has been coded to do so with directx but not opengl which is opensource and prone to modifications.

Yes, active 3D is a ridiculous solution to achieve stereo3D. Go passive and try my spring 3D widget. With my passive 3D monitor I can play all the same games in 3D as 3Dvision can, such as WoW, etc.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

3DS. It has good games now. Super Mario 3D Land is pretty fucking awesome.
Prominence

Post by Prominence »

Correction and or new update: Samsung have developed super PLS technology which supersedes IPS technology. So now their monitors with super PLS technology have the best image quality.
Prominence

Post by Prominence »

Godde wrote:I couldn't find any Zalmans 3d monitors easily available in Sweden so I went for nvidia 3d vision and a Benq XL2410T screen.

Any advice on how to set it up for spring?
Isn't BenQ a cheap TN panel monitor? TN panels are generally cheap and have fast response time, but poor color reproduction. Fast response time of 2ms or 5ms is pretty much meaningless since people won't able to tell the difference.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”