Duke Nukem Forever - Page 4

Duke Nukem Forever

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Johannes

Re: Duke Nukem Forever

Post by Johannes »

Health regen is just easy and lame way to balance. You can be expected to enter every encounter with full health, much easier to make right than have the right amount of hp packs in right places to keep the challenge on the right level.
And as side-effect you make the game lose a lot its tension, any fight that doesn't borderline kill you becomes kinda irrelevant for your survival.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

PicassoCT wrote:
Heavy gun is heavy, damn those kids demanding realizm.
This is why i demand less realizim . or maek mod
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

On the other hand regenerating health may be a good idea for mindless shooters as worrying about your health level isn't exactly mindless. Necrovision has partial regeneration, I think it goes up to 2/3rds of the maximum and regeneration is damn slow. For anything beyond that you need health packs or red souls/gems (which also heal you much faster than your regeneration does). So you don't really have to worry about losing too much health during a fight and potentially ending up unable to proceed but you don't really get to hide in cover either, if you want to regenerate in mid-combat you better dodge enemy fire for long enough.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

even hl2 had in episode 2 regenerating health.. just well hidden. Those maggots dropped health depending upon the players state.

So its really genrestandard by now, just well hidden in some cases.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Making it depend on killing stuff is very different from just telling the player to hide and wait.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

Health packs? Lucky you.
When I was a kid all we got was 3 lives and then we had to start the whole game over from the god-damn beginning!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

You forgot to mention that you died from one hit.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Having healthpacks nearly everyhwere in the level, beeing left behind if you dont need them, results in you running into them, once you retreat and wait.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Blacklists have been a part of the review situation for a very long time, as are incentives - who can forget the plane tickets, promotional materials and free consoles that some reviewers receive for some titles.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

That was their ad agency. Their contract has been terminated immediately afterwards.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

blacklisting is ugly.. but the real problem is advertising. If you dont rate our products above this and that, we dont book any adds.

You even can check out the product rating minima, and the recalculate it into a actual rating. For example 75% with a EA-Minima of 65% means...

45% Ratingspace left.
10% of this Rating-space used.

which means 22% which is actually a low rating.. so you can clean those. ratings in magazines and online reviews, if you calc a review baseline.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Some of the comments on this game are really harsh in that article. I still have not played it but that is because I had no time. I don't expect it to be groundbreaking.

Either way serious Sam IMO was the duke sequel we wanted, it just didn't have all the sex drugs and cursing. Dn is about character and gameplay, serious Sam had the gameplay easily.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I like Serious Sam more than DN.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

But dont you appreciate the strippers, panda? ;)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... -this-time
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Man, their DNS entry is still down...
Panda

Post by Panda »

PicassoCT wrote:But dont you appreciate the strippers, panda? ;)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... -this-time
:lol: Nah, I'm not that concerned about strippers or streakers in general as long as I don't have to chase them down and put clothes over them. They could catch a cold or something, though.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

In ten years from now, you will see a new generation of salesmen in woman boutiques. And if you ask them, how did you start selling cloths? they will answer:

"There was this game you know, i waited all my life long for, and they forgot to write the cloth-simulation, so everyone was near naked.. so to avoid such stuff in reality, i opened shop." ;=)
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

they use tons of wale fat, disguised as makeup (actually, makeup is a perverted wrong-understanding of this ancient technique).
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

so is this game any good now? I suspect not...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”