MINECRAFT IS NOW BETA! - Page 3

MINECRAFT IS NOW BETA!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Gota

Re: MINECRAFT IS NOW BETA!

Post by Gota »

Wombat wrote:only thing i miss in MC is some purpose :/ smarter mobs would be cool either. surviving usually means dig hole and u are safe (i mean 'normal' mode, not survival)
I wish he made it so that you can't just put a block of dirt back into its place but instead had to construct a door or wall etc...
Also companions!!! this game would totally work within a battlezone scheme.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I have had creepers blow up on the other side of windows then spider come charging in and eat me... just saying.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i suggested on MC forum to make these SSSSSSSS mobs blow up near ur crib to make hole for another mobs. so u need to 'upgrade' ur crib with better blocks (whats the point of so many block types if they are used just for sandbox, just to get different color ? :/)

ppl didnt like it coz it would make game too difficult >>

same about backpacks (reducing ridiculous inventory size)

same about more mobs

what a pussies :(
Last edited by Wombat on 22 Dec 2010, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

different materials do have different resilience btw.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Its not about pussies.you can always make a "hardcore" gamemod.
It's about devving time, priorities and decision making.
Last edited by Gota on 22 Dec 2010, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i know, but it doesnt change the fact that creeper blows up only when u get close to it. not, like, when it spots u, it charges ur way and destroys walls to let other mobs kill u

ya i know 'i can make it'. but i didnt pay him to make something myself ;DDD
Gota

Post by Gota »

I just don't think it makes any sense to allow players to put mined blocks back...When you mine something you don't expect to be able to put it back like it was...its retarded.
smoth

Post by smoth »

what? like the ghasts? because they have no issue with bombarding you.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

ghast is only in hell
smoth

Post by smoth »

just saying, he has the code to do it.. if he will, we shall see.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

KDR_11k wrote:The people who think of Minecraft as a virtual creation sandbox have no idea what it means to hear SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
I only found lego servers :|
Also it crashes my java engine now, did an update and will retry after restart.
Gota wrote:I just don't think it makes any sense to allow players to put mined blocks back...When you mine something you don't expect to be able to put it back like it was...its retarded.
You dont have cubic head either do you?
Regret

Post by Regret »

After some more research I've decided I'm not going to buy this game even though it looks fun. Mainly for these reasons:

A) it's made in java
B) community it attracts is mostly on the level of a facebook/myspace hybrid
C) these "pay for alpha get whole thing later" games seem like a scam to me, developer has no obligation to finish the product. Looking at other games with this model like f.e. Cortex Command it's clear that this fact is here.

Maybe if it manages to reach a stable stage that offers more gameplay than plain worlds with random monster spawns.

And smoth, don't even bother asking me to stop posting in this thread. It's about minecraft and I wrote something about minecraft.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

regret stop posting in this thread
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

smoth wrote:I have had creepers blow up on the other side of windows then spider come charging in and eat me... just saying.
I've seen them do that to doors, I wasn't aware they could do it to windows :(
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Regret wrote:C) these "pay for alpha get whole thing later" games seem like a scam to me, developer has no obligation to finish the product. Looking at other games with this model like f.e. Cortex Command it's clear that this fact is here.
I had the same stance originally before I tried Minecraft. But it's good enough to pay for already right now. It's not like most alpha games which are blatantly unfinished unplayable shit, and they're like "LOL! GIVE US MONEY FOR POOP!" Minecraft is ALOT of fun already. Like, steal a small portion of your life fun. I have a problem with paying for a game and getting a half finished tech demo and the promise that it will one day be a game, I don't have a problem paying for a good game with the promise that it will one day be better than it already is.

Minecraft isn't finished in the eyes of the developer, but most indie companies would have already shipped it. It's more in a beta development cycle so he can release patches that suck, and when everyone says "OMGZORS! YOU BROKE THE GAME!" he can say "BETA LOL!" The patches are somewhat unstable, but they get fixed after a few days usually, and meh, the game's in beta, what are you gonna do?

A is arbitrary, what language a game is coded in has no bearing on gameplay.

B is untrue. There's a giant Xchan player base, team liquid has a large player base, something awful has a nearly 1000 page thread about it. There are facebook/myspace retards that play the game, but you don't just wander into some random multiplayer server and deal with whatever's there, there's no server browser yet, you have to find a community that runs a server before you can even play. Just be more discretionary on who's server you'll join and you'll never encounter those types. I play primarily on the team liquid server, you have to PM the owner for access, and retards get banned in short order.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

TradeMark wrote:Clonk planet stuff
I didn't play a huge amount of Clonk, but in my experience Clonk is better for giving you clear objectives and ambitious goals, where as mine craft is better for raw creativity and compelling exploration. With Clonk I never really felt like "wow, I wonder what I will encounter next", not to say it wasn't strategic or fun, just, mine craft is better for that element of things.

I find dwarf fortress has a level of depth that neither game has, but minecraft is more relaxing and chilled that dwarf fortress is, and the interface with the world is much much smoother.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

swift u give bad example to forum noobs, no edit :(
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

iirc i showed wombat this and then he bought it :D

its not tasteful.
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/4425 ... ft9111.png

anyways yeah i agree about more dangerous enemies, or even just more variations of enemies in general. im optimistic though, im sure more dangerous things will be added in future (personally i think it would be awesome of pumpkins attacked at night)
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Regret wrote:B) community it attracts is mostly on the level of a facebook/myspace hybrid
Damn, i was trying to find the word for the minecraft players, but couldnt. Now you said it.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”