DWARF FORTRESS - Page 58

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Spawn_Retard

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by Spawn_Retard »

SinbadEV wrote:In The Meantime!

I just discovered a Dwarf Fortress-Like FPS game!!! OMGWTF EH?

It's in alpha and it crashed when I got attacked by a goblin... but otherwise it's pretty cool/weird.

http://minecraft.net/
OLD.

Also, that company has just taken a free open source project, re-wrapped it with another name, only to sell it, and viral market by posting on forums such as 4chan, ebaums world ect, making sock puppets and spam threads about same posters talking to themselves about how awesome the game is.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Spawn_Retard wrote:FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

NEW DWARF RELEASE.

>Download it
>Expect to get April fooled
>Boot it up
>Says v0.31.01
>Several new soil layers when scanning world map

FUCK YEAH

also,

data/init/init.txt

Just copy over the relevant lines from your tiled version, and free yourself from the shackles of ASCII
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

It's pretty awesome exploring underground caverns, but I got scared off of playing by a plethora of bugs with the military systems. A large percentage of the time recruited dwarfs, even if they haven't seen any combat, get permanent post traumatic stress disorder, which basically means they still eat and drink, but don't perform any work after they are dismissed from military service. Sometimes they just become zombies mid way through military service. It really sucks to lose a steel clad kitted out dwarf to retardation.

So ya, it's awesome, but I'm waiting for a fix.
Erom

Post by Erom »

Also, anything that can't bleed seems impossible to kill. Like, you can send 40 dwarves at something like a simple skeleton, break every bone in the skeletons body, grind it to dust, and then watch as your soldiers take turns smacking it... till they all die of thirst 6 months later because it just wont die.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Is there a complete nice tileset that works with latest DF?tileset and a complete character set.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I don't see how tilesets would change at all. You're a dork for refusing to play without them, but there we are.
Gota

Post by Gota »

What?
I remember you wrote you try to not make rushed incorrect assumptions?
First of all where in that post did i say i dont play DF? second of all even if I dont play DF without A nice tileset who says I must?ASCI gfx is freaking ugly and takes ages to get used to.
Are you some sort of...ASCI purist? seriously...

Also,why flamebate?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

neddie is angry because hes not a moderator anymore
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I'm not angry and I am still a moderator. I also did not make any incorrect assumptions, nor did I flamebait, I merely commented in the context of Gota's historical statements on Dwarf Fortress, even in a joking tone.
Regret

Post by Regret »

neddiedrow wrote:joking tone
<Post by neddie>
HAHA, that's a good one. :regret:
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Regret wrote:
neddiedrow wrote:joking tone
<Post by neddie>
HAHA, that's a good one. :regret:
You're one to talk, giggles. :regret:
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Gota wrote:Are you some sort of...ASCI purist? seriously...
DF is not a game for ASCII purists... ASCII games consist of proper writable characters only.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php is the best and most completely awesome tileset.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

does someone actually play that game with letter graphics? they must be geniuses... not just anyone could read such graphics... has to be IQ 200 at least
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I don't understand all that fuss about extend ascii graphics, as it gives a cosy touch to the game IMO.

I don't understand why no one complains about how you can't do anything, not even look around the tiles, without pausing the game, which is what really put me off. I want to be able to play it like a RTS, that is to keep giving order, non-stop, while the time flows at its own pace. Having to restrain myself from touching anything just so I can let time flows is infuriating. Or is there some real-time option that I missed?
Coresair

Post by Coresair »

Nope, you did not miss anything, zwzsg. The pause can be annoying but you get used to it.

Hey gota, I play with a 16x16 acii set, I prefer ascii over graphics any day in DF. (But not non-square)

I tried to play the new version, but was also put off by the many bugs. I will certainly be playing this a lot when the bugs are fixed!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

TradeMark wrote:does someone actually play that game with letter graphics? they must be geniuses... not just anyone could read such graphics... has to be IQ 200 at least
Thanks for trying to stroke my ego, but it's really not that hard. To represent all the information that every piece in the game has you would need MUCH MUCH better graphics than 2D tiles anyways, so if I see a red capital K running across the field towards my fortress, I might not immediately know what it is, but I'm going to pause the game, hit 'k' to open the view menu, and check out it's description and stats anyways. I'm gonna find out that a large red capital K means Kobalt captian, or Kodiac bear, or a gentle hoppy kangaroo. It doesn't really matter what the graphics look like, I need the view menu to figure out what I'm looking at anyways, and the symbol, once I'm acclimated to it, is much easier to spot at a moment's notice than a muddy 64 pixle sprite.
Erom

Post by Erom »

I use ascii as well, but the default font is incredibad. I use one based on fixedsys.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

i play with ASCII...

if anyone cares 8)
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I played with ASCII then tried out the tiles, so im not nazi on either.
conclusion: the tiles were better.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”