Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!) - Page 24

Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!)

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!)

Post by smoth »

zwzsg wrote:It's a trailer. Don't you know by now trailers should not be trusted?
TRUTH
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I m actually really interested how they handle the units coordinates.
Every Unit is at End of a Vector with Distance in Relation to the Core?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Tax on the funds, employee/corporation taxes, healthcare, pensions, accountants, HR, trademarks, hosting, bandwidth, tools, licenses, machines, marketing, goodies for backers, etc
scifi

Post by scifi »

luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Holy shit that Annihilaser though.

Seriously just watch it from here: http://youtu.be/xyzkS-4gPfU?t=29m52s

This is the kind of stuff they needed at launch.
AC-mister

Post by AC-mister »

The "Annihilaser" already existed in the base launch game, I don't know what you mean by that.

You can tell with these exotic planet shapes that they are just neat hacks: no cool gravity well affects, units just move over them like they do over a regular sphere, adhering to the same "passable/impassable terrain" rules. Hardly the "game changers" the video caster is making them out to be.

Anyway, what's the point of making exotic content when they still won't:
  • Revert to a true (unmolested) Total Annihilation economy system
    Revert to Total Annihilation-style universal targeting (everything can attack order everything)
    Revert to believable traits for bots and vehicles (no more walkers with their complex servos having HIGHER top speed than treads/wheels)
    Reenable mobile unit wreckage
    Reenable building on mesas and other terrain features, like was shown in development
    Make height actually affect movement speed and weapon performance; right now it is useless
    Implement full friendly fire
    Implement believable orbital mechanics
    Implement adaptable gravity and atmospheric pressure
    Implement Spring-style custom formations and other robust interface functions
    Remove forced building spacing
    Not be cheap by making "metal" planets follow regular metal distribution rules; bring back the implication in METAL planet
All these things are pretty fundamental to my own enjoyment and immersion of the game and would also go a long way towards accentuating the exotic stuff, but I suspect that neither the developers or the modding community even register the above points—the developers because they don't see any reason to care, and the community because it is mostly ignorant—and "ongoing development" will mean focus on frivolous shit like ranked/matchmaking and more purchasable commander models, and "tier 3" in the form of mods. It also doesn't help that the developers just let the worst community suggestions drive the game's direction.

Also, the guy casting that video, Zaphod, is another economy system liar/whiner/bungler and conspiracy theorist, who believes simple economy systems like Total Annihilation's are "too hard" and can't be appreciated by regular dudes, and thus stands in opposition to the RTS genre everywhere. Why has he been allowed to be a face for this game?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

If they had really planned the orbital mechanics in, they would have designed for two player teams and added real spaceships..

Basically a metal fatigue type gameplay, but without the boredom for one of the team-members when guarding his "level".
100Gbps

Post by 100Gbps »

PicassoCT wrote:I m actually really interested how they handle the units coordinates.
Every Unit is at End of a Vector with Distance in Relation to the Core?
prob on assymetrical planets (read non-spherical) i'll use coordinates of each quadrangle (quad/tetragon) of the model and also use them for quadtree collision module
Shift

Post by Shift »

When will spring step up and get some planets!

Seriously tho, anyone play this? I've managed to play a few games and even though it seems to be graphically nice. It feels quite hollow for the low amount of units you can actually build and there seems to be a even smaller viable list of units that are worth building.

The campaign feels very hindered with having to swap in and out what units and tech you want to use for each mission. It feels like your fighting with one hand your back.

If anyone is interested in playing some skirmish matches that would be interested
scifi

Post by scifi »

ranked 1v1 is always fun, also i play with the [tN] tag over there so if you want add me ;)

The game in my opinion is an average RTS with the old TA style economy, but the 1v1 scene is active thats why i play it.
Shift

Post by Shift »

Well until i know the proper ins and outs, could you do a homedog a favor and 2v2 or something till i know whats what.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”