Is is possible for a spring game to appear in steam?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Or the gpl license itself prevents that?
Just curious. Sense lot of you folk want more players and wellllllll steam allows free to play games.
gajop

Re: Is is possible for a spring game to appear in steam?

Post by gajop »

pointless and undesirable, even if legally possible
why would we want to freely give control over the network to valve, which is what migrating to steam would mean?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Zero-K team contacted officially steam.

We were deemed not worthy any answer..

Spring stuff is too insignificant and obscure for them i bet, not much room for revenue generation.
smoth

Post by smoth »

we had a spring user release a steam game, the name escapes me, it was some music game, maybe ask him.

Simple answer is I suspect steam is a no because spring projects are not profitable.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

dizekat

he made The Polynomial, it's on Steam.

Either way, the only guy who put together a game complete-enough for sale was Argh, and we all know how that turned out.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

gajop wrote: why would we want to freely give control over the network to valve,
Where did you get this?
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

smoth wrote:we had a spring user release a steam game, the name escapes me, it was some music game, maybe ask him.

Simple answer is I suspect steam is a no because spring projects are not profitable.
They had release a entire free to play game without no profit whatsoever.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Super Mario wrote:
gajop wrote: why would we want to freely give control over the network to valve,
Where did you get this?
Isn't it obvious? Because steam comes with a network that's under control by valve, including the software that can use it. That means bye bye to linux which is 30%~ of current spring users (according to that abma's spring site usage post, not the best metric but oh well).

Don't want.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Super Mario wrote:
smoth wrote:we had a spring user release a steam game, the name escapes me, it was some music game, maybe ask him.

They had release a entire free to play game without no profit whatsoever.
Nonsense, Steam's free games generate profits with microtransactions.
knorke

Post by knorke »

gpl would not be a problem.
luckywaldo7 wrote:Nonsense, Steam's free games generate profits with microtransactions.
iirc games on steam are required to have a way to generate some profit, even if it is just optional microtransactions. It is part of the contract. No spring game currently has that.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

gajop wrote:
Super Mario wrote:
Where did you get this?
Isn't it obvious? Because steam comes with a network that's under control by valve, including the software that can use it. That means bye bye to linux which is 30%~ of current spring users (according to that abma's spring site usage post, not the best metric but oh well).

Don't want.
If someone makes a Spring game and it's put on steam, I don't see how that directly affects any other Spring game or the official server.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

If you remember when steam came out, it was a blessing because owning physical copies of shit sucks.

I bought bf1942 3 fucking times thanks to scratched cds. Fuck physical media. Digital or death.

Steam may be DRM, but it doesn't EVER impede my ability to play my games, and if my computer dies, steam is right there waiting for me to download and install all my games again. No hassle, no fuss.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:If you remember when steam came out, it was a blessing because owning physical copies of shit sucks.

I bought bf1942 3 fucking times thanks to scratched cds. Fuck physical media. Digital or death.

Steam may be DRM, but it doesn't EVER impede my ability to play my games, and if my computer dies, steam is right there waiting for me to download and install all my games again. No hassle, no fuss.
I disagree, initial steam (counter strike source days), had a buggy client, the network was crashing down, it was shit. In fact it made me avoid any "On Steam!" products for many years later.

It also isn't supported on any Linux or BSD (haha.. i know) OS. It just surprises me a bit how few people here seem to care about being multi-platform compatible, when there's nothing stopping you (you by default are already really, unless you do obvious steps to insure otherwise, such as C#/Steam/DirectX, and I'm not sure that's even easily possible).

But lastly, what's the benefit really? You already have a network created, with the download mechanisms and what not (yes, I know it's nowhere near today's Steam, but it's not to be ignored). If you were a small team/company without that, looking to get exposure, sure, but most of you guys are in a completely different position, with the power to have (and some already do), the best, Free, multi-platform RTS games.

Now, imo, and that may not be true, we just need matchmaking and a better singleplayer experience and you can expect an influx of users.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Steam is bullshit.

Sorry you didn't take care of your CDs, the only time a game has been inplayable for me has been when my roommate burned my place down or the game only worked in dos(cavewars :( )

The drm is bullshit
Achievements are dumb
I use it because that is what the industry has become: microtransactiobs and drm
People hate EA but live valve. IMO valve is worse
Pako

Post by Pako »

gajop wrote:I disagree, initial steam (counter strike source days), had a buggy client, the network was crashing down, it was shit. In fact it made me avoid any "On Steam!" products for many years later.
Good times. There was this cracked russian steam client called NO STEAM, which cracked the first DRM bullshit game distributing system in weeks from the release. All games were playable like the unreleased counter strike source beta. Steam tried monthly to fix their system but always there was a new hole. For about 6 months the NO STEAM was probably more popular and the online games worked with all steam players.

Now even a game like Duke Nukem Forever bought in DVD can't be played without an online connection because they are afraid someone will steal it.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Forboding Angel wrote:If you remember when steam came out, it was a blessing because owning physical copies of shit sucks.
I remember when Steam came out, and it was a curse because you needed an internet connection to play a single player game (Half-Life 2).
smoth

Post by smoth »

I installed steam so I could play Dark messiah of M&M and that is why my profile says "this app is bullsh*t".
knorke

Post by knorke »

imo steam only got of the ground because at some point it was required for two popular games: counterstrike and later hl2.
Also lol offline mode, basically you had to use no-steam cracks etc. for lan play.
smoth

Post by smoth »

god yes, MMOs, ONLINE only have killed lan parties. I loved them, they forced nerds to be social. Now they all huddle alone in their apts away from being able to talk shit and get in fist fights. I miss that. :'(

Return to “General Discussion”