SpringFiles - Page 3

SpringFiles

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

jj

Re: SpringFiles

Post by jj »

@ houijui: There was a bug in the site that causes the slow maps browsing. It's fixed now. The overall speed is most of the time good as far as i have discovered.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

ahh i see.. indeed better now, that part. thanks! :-)
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

:P
smoth

Post by smoth »

that is fuckin nice jaz
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Well done, Jazcash.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Das Bruce wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:l couldn't be much calmer when I made that post. Might wanna consider. not taking everything so damn seriously
Written language is piss poor at communicating tone. Vocal intonation, facial expression and body language are all lost. The way you write comes across as very agressive.
Oh I know, but I write exactly how I speak and that's prolly not going to change anytime soon. It may seem aggressive but most of these guys have been around long enough to know that it isn't.

@jaz I remember when you posted that before, but I still very much dislike it. Current springfiles looks cash and I like it a lot. Besides, looks has little to do with the topic at hand.
smoth

Post by smoth »

forb, because people have to have a learning curve to interpreting just you means that most people most of the time will not interpret your intent properly no matter how much they are trying to force their brain to interpret things differently. Your words are interpreted by everyone the same, you need to recognize when the rest of the world is saying it's not normal. they decide not you.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Imo all serious non-spring server use should rent the server.

If springfiles acts as if spring is secondary to it and hosts mostly non-spring games then it imo has 3 options:

* remove non-spring content
* pay for hosting (compensates server costs and allows us to buy better hw)
* move to different server

Fact is it currently uses community resources for private for-profit enterprise without compensation.

It will be hard to put price on HW usage though, server is not setup for multi-hosting/measuring individual project impacts.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Jazcash wrote:Image

:P

fantastic work jazcash
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Licho wrote:Fact is it currently uses community resources for private for-profit enterprise without compensation.
^ my case.
jj

Post by jj »

@Licho:

I think it doesnt matter that spring is the main content or not. The fact is that i'm running a website, using server resources, and getting income from ads. So it would be reasonable that i would cover a part of the server costs.

Since my contract just ended from the previous hosting i've started donating. So currently you have to do it with my generosity. If you want to let me pay a pre-set amount, im also fine with that.

PS. could you write "SpringFiles.com" next to my name at the donate page?
Then it would be more clear and understandable for everyone.
jj

Post by jj »

SF update: The link to Spring is now at the absolute top of the list at the homepage. I think it deserved it to stay there.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Springfiles is awesome! Thanks for providing such an essential service to the community, jj!

I have no qualms with SF right now. That's why I didn't post here before. I feel like we need some representation from the happy users as well, though, so here I am! :-)
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Now it's on your own server I have no quarrel what you do with the site, it's 100% yours. Personally I'd still prefer if you kept it free of non-spring stuff, but now there's no reason why you should listen to me :P
jj

Post by jj »

I will keep giving spring maximum exposure.
So it will be kept at the top of the homepage and we are thinging about adding an extra banner for spring.
jj

Post by jj »

Search function added:

Now you can search on the maps, mods and other pages.
For example; at the map page you can search for a title or mapsize.

Hope you find it usefull.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

nice! :-)
also the firefox search thing by dansan :-)
jj

Post by jj »

Now you can see a designmap, heightmap and metalmap for all maps @ SpringFiles.

Check it out:
http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-ma ... -deluxe-v3
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Very nice :)

Say: is the algo that calculates the page-name from the map name robust (collision-free?, versions?, non-ascii?)?
Could for example replays.adune.nl auto-link to a map on sf, by just calculating the link from the maps name?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Hmm I thought it has already existed in SF1 am I right?
Btw similar stuff exists on ZK site http://zero-k.info/Maps/Detail/20018 and is linked to replays too http://zero-k.info/Battles

Return to “General Discussion”