There, I fixed it!

There, I fixed it!

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

There, I fixed it!

Post by Forboding Angel »

:-)

In case anyone cares, news now posts on the spring facebook fan page, properly (no duplications or any of that silly stuff).
smoth

Re: There, I fixed it!

Post by smoth »

/me goes off to post news about waterhoses again so knorke can rage :)
knorke

Post by knorke »

this?
http://www.facebook.com/springrtsengine

Stuff like this:
is imo pretty fail but whatever. (the text is cropped like that on facebook, not by my screenshot)

Why are all the pictures of one game except for this one:
(which is years old)

Actually I do not really understand why a software needs a facebook page in the first place, but since everybody seems to like it, I assume the problem is with me.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

knorke... the only item that is on the facebook page form the new syndication is http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... yn6iLYWhXw

Pretty easy to tell considering that if you go to the spring page: https://www.facebook.com/springrtsengine

and look at the news items, the top item is "via networkedblogs" and the item before that is from 2011 and instead of linking to the source, it is actually a facebook note.
knorke wrote:Actually I do not really understand why a software needs a facebook page in the first place, but since everybody seems to like it, I assume the problem is with me.
Facebook has more than 845 million active users (as of December 2011)
50% of active users log on to Facebook in any given day
Average user spends more than 55 minutes per day on Facebook
Think about this: your clients are not going to log onto your website everyday, but more than half of all users log on to Facebook in any given day. That is over 400 million people you could potentially reach with a daily status message. Plus, a Facebook fan page offers these advantages:

1. Fan pages are visible to even those without a Facebook profile account. If you send a Twitter message or email with a link, anyone can view the page.

2. Fan pages are indexed outside of Facebook. Meaning, if someone does an online search of your company, this is one more link that will come up.

3. Not sure who your target market is? Facebook fan pages can help you figure that out. Each page keeps statistics of who your followers are and who is participating. It will tell you if they are male or female, their age range, where they are located and what language they speak.

4. With a regular Facebook profile you are limited to 5,000 friends. With a Facebook Fan Page the number of fans is unlimited. This might not be a huge thing if you are just starting out, but always plan for your growth.

5. You can further establish your brand. People do business with people they trust. Social media is all about building the trust over time and Facebook is a great way to do that.
knorke wrote: Why are all the pictures of one game except for this one:
[img]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 2154_n.jpg[/img
Because no one else has bothered to add any of their game. There are 5 admins on the Facebook page. No one has requested any other games and I'm not going to go out of my way to find screenshots of your (your not referring to you specifically, knorke) game that don't look like shit.

Provide me with a list of good images to use and I'll upload them.

Why do you bitch about everything anyway?
knorke

Post by knorke »

I have no clue what part is a "facebook note", "news", "networked blog" and what else there is.
It all just looks pretty messy, outdated and broken to me.
eg the zero-K post from 13 hours ago shows "no image / invalid URL" and the text is loled up.
No one has requested any other games and I'm not going to go out of my way to find screenshot
imo if you create a page that presents Spring to "845 million active users" it is in your responsibility to ensure it is represented correct. Only having one game shown does not do that, it is not that hard to go to the various games websites and take some pictures from there.
This note: "Development of Conflict Terra has come to a close." is the one at top. So since half a year vistors think CT is dead. I think if my game was presented like that, I would be pretty annoyed. Why is there not the update from 1 week later that development continued? That is bad.
Provide me with a list of good images to use and I'll upload them.
just go to the games sites
http://zero-k.info/Wiki/Media
http://nota.machys.net/media
http://balancedannihilation.org/portfol ... reenshots/
http://springrts.com/wiki/Kernel_Panic#Still_shots
etc
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I didn't create it, dumbass. I and AF fixed it after it had gone completely to shit from neglect.

Because you're stupidly unaware, facebook makes it ridiculously difficult to get rid of information. If you didn't already know this you are a fucking moron because anyone who reads the news on an annual basis is aware that FB makes removing data of any kind extremely difficult, just as private data should never be private in the eyes of shitbook.

The previous notes were from an rss syndication ability that used to be in facebook pages, but facebook removed it because those links take people away from dumbfuckingidiotsbook instead of linking to somewhere else on the shitty site.

Try clicking on "blog" for more stories. I have no way to push all those old articles to facebook, and if I did the dates would be fucked anyway. Click on networked blogs (aka "blog") if you want a full story list.

The image is lolled because the rss feed from the zk forum doesn't ever supply pictures in the feed and I told the syndication to try like hell to grab a thumbnail. I'm sorry it offended your delicate sensibilities.

Wrt images, I am not responsible for other peoples projects. i spend enough time maintaining shit and if they can't be fucked to provide me with them, then I can't be fucked to go getting all of them either.

Why don't you go be a non-useless good boy and download all those images and put them in a zip for me. I am not the only admin on the facebook page. There are 4 others, one of which is AF, but instead of being even remotely helpful, all you know how to do is bitch and be a troll.

Now, fuck off.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Gimmie admin, I'll fix you up with some hotness when I get back to uni with decent upload speed.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Anyway, why do you bitch about everyone Forb?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

He is trolling in many different areas Johannes. This is only a small part.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

knorke wrote: Stuff like this:
is imo pretty fail but whatever. (the text is cropped like that on facebook, not by my screenshot)
Btw, That thumbnail is a picture of the app overlaid with text. It is done by facebook and is called an app tab. There is no controlling it, like 80% of everything on facebook, you get what you get whether you like it or not.

You have this interesting notion that we can actually edit the code of the page and do what we like. Such is not the case.
knorke

Post by knorke »

As said, no idea what all that facebook buzzwords are.
I went to the page, saw it is broken, reported it. Do with it what you want.
---
Forboding Angel wrote:He is trolling in many different areas Johannes. This is only a small part.
Your postings are always hyping something or full of "fuck", "piss" and "shit" or personel insults and your assumptions about spring stuff are often wrong. So yeah, it is hard to resist.
Forboding Angel wrote:i spend enough time maintaining shit
haha.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I do believe jaz would do an honest job, any possibility he could help you forb?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I should spend more time fixing those things.

Forb what Feed is this all being syndicated from, and do respond to ym PM about resetting up springinfo on my own server. We could do with the tools we used to have for syndication ( and the improvements coming soon ).

Sadly most of my facebook attention is consumed by the Hack group. "Please American pretending to be woman steal my groups after I insult whitehouse, you help me get it back using phishing?" "Will you tell me how to hack my friend using SEO" "please eat trojan friend machine" "Open teets"

I've made Jaz and Smoth admins
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I trust you want to keep the page completely free of TA, BA, AA, CA and everything *A related?

Also, doesn't seem like I'm an admin yet. You got my fb to make me admin in the first place? :P
Last edited by Jazcash on 11 Apr 2012, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Jazcash wrote:I trust you want to keep the page completely free of TA, BA, AA, CA and everything *A related?
Why on earth? BA is played by half the spring userbase.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

*A is strictly not allowed.
gajop wrote:
Jazcash wrote:I trust you want to keep the page completely free of TA, BA, AA, CA and everything *A related?
Why on earth? BA is played by half the spring userbase.
Because it is stolen content, and it looks like shit.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Forboding Angel wrote: Because it is stolen content, and it looks like shit.
This. :P

Also, it's only played by about 1/3 of the userbase now ;)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Jaz, I made you admin. I think AF forgot to hit save changes. FB changed the interface (AGAIN), for making people admins.

Please only post high quality screenshots. That means no shitty guis. No shitty gui elements. No jagged edges (I can haz AAx2 plox?) if at all possible. No shitty map edges.

Common sense basically. When someone looks at the images, we want people to see real quality and be interested. Btw, people don't post bullshots. That is not helpful.

Desperately needs some zk and gundam shots on there. Some CT and KP stuff would be nice too.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Alright, I'll see what I can do when I can back to uni in a week. I've got some old CA and KP shots lying around. Some are still completely relevant (Same models). Although, the best thing is probably waiting a few months until I get back home to shoot some more shots. I'm kind of in an awkward setup atm where I have great internet at uni but with a laptop that runs Spring really badly and I have a great desktop at home which I use for snapping top quality screenshots but the internet is worse than worse.

In September I'm moving into a house near uni and taking my desktop with me so I'll have the ideal setup then. That's hopefully when I'll really be able to get down to uploading super high quality shots all the time.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Sorry for the Facebook friend denial Forb, I only add people close to me that I know really well on fb, don't take it personally :P I'd add you anywhere else <3

Return to “General Discussion”