Spring Community Forums - Page 2

Spring Community Forums

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Licho
Zero-K Developer

Re: Spring Community Forums

Post by Licho »

Sure, donate some 700Ôé¼ and you can have another server as powerful as this hosting copy of springfiles for a year...
Besides it's downtime was really minimal through past year, like 2 hours total.

Fnords used to be off for days.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

a forum needs powerful server.. no
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Springfiles does..
Regret

Post by Regret »

Every single category listed in this new forum is already existing on these Spring forum.

News & Announcements - Already here
General Discussion - Already here
Tournaments - Already here, Game Lobby on Spring forum
Clans - Already here, there is Clans subcategory in Game Lobby
Games - Already here, every game has it's own subforum for whatever purpose they desire
Spring Creations - Already here
Off Topic - Already here
The only 2 categories not on Spring forums and those are the ones directly related to the new forum site itself.

There are no new areas of discussion available.

The only change would be lesser moderation ultimately leading to more useless non-sense posts and "cool story bro" phrases. There already is enough place for this on Spring's IRC.

Some questions on the site creator:

Do you want the non-sense produced by users archived in forum form?

Is this a rational reason to use server resources or to spend time on it?

Are you doing this only so you can be in charge/part of moderation of a forum?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Regret wrote:Are you doing this only so you can be in charge/part of moderation of a forum?
sounds familiar, no ?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Licho wrote:Springfiles does..
spring community forums != springfiles
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Regret wrote:Every single category listed in this new forum is already existing on these Spring forum.

News & Announcements - Already here
General Discussion - Already here
Tournaments - Already here, Game Lobby on Spring forum
Clans - Already here, there is Clans subcategory in Game Lobby
Games - Already here, every game has it's own subforum for whatever purpose they desire
Spring Creations - Already here
Off Topic - Already here
The only 2 categories not on Spring forums and those are the ones directly related to the new forum site itself.

The only change would be lesser moderation ultimately leading to more useless non-sense posts and "cool story bro" phrases. There already is enough place for this on Spring's IRC.

Some questions on the site creator:

Do you want the non-sense produced by users archived in forum form?

Is this a rational reason to use server resources or to spend time on it?

Are you doing this only so you can be in charge/part of moderation of a forum?
I believe the point is to split most of them away from this forum and onto the new one. This is a dev forum, for devs!
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

FLOZi wrote:...split most of them away from this forum...
Which would be positively awesome imo.
smoth

Post by smoth »

[thread]
person makes something, people tear it down rather than help
[/thread]

and this is why a user and doer community should be separate.

just reading this thread makes me actually want to get fgjl running fast again so I can give the content devs the iron fist protected forum they deserve.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Regret wrote:Every single category listed in this new forum is already existing on these Spring forum.

Yup, the idea is the lure the trolls into a more suitable cave. Also, the forum has private clan boards for clans with => 6 members for their own use. Also, the topics on this board would be of a different nature compared to those that should be here. As stated, this is a board aimed at the players rather than the developers.

Regret wrote: Do you want the non-sense produced by users archived in forum form?
As it happens, that is already so to a certain extent. Which is, again, one of the primary reasons for the creation of this new board.

Regret wrote: Is this a rational reason to use server resources or to spend time on it?
The server server seems to be coping just fine with this forum, I don't see why a second would make any significant impact or server performance compared so some of the other stuff we've got on this thing. As for my own personal time, if I had not decided to go-ahead with this project or Spring Network at all, it would have been wasted playing games, just like the other 80% of my life. /emo.
Regret wrote: Are you doing this only so you can be in charge/part of moderation of a forum?
No, if it means that much to you, I'll switch myself to a regular member when I've got everything up and running smoothly. As bad judged and immature as I can sometimes be given the right, or rather, wrong company, I am not a power whore.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I dont liek the

gray text on the
gray panel on the
gray block on the
gray gradient with the
gray headings

etc etc etc

Its readable but its not comfortable reading, maybe for you, and it ruins whats overwise a nice and clean design.

Darker text + lighter background on main copy please.

1px dividers on the nav buttons would improve them immensely for minimal effort.

The site jumps to the left when a page with scrollbars loads, then jumps back when the page loaded doesnt have scrollbars. You can fix this so that scrollbars always show using this CSS:

http://css-tricks.com/eliminate-jumps-i ... croll-bar/

The sub navigation with login register etc should have white or lighter text, not #222. Changing to #fff makes them much more readable. Testing out different colours suggested something similar to this shade worked best, as full #fff was to bright and stole focus.

Code: Select all

ul#secondary-navigation li a {
color: #EEE;
}
Also sharing login with main forums would be massively helpful and encourage adoption.
Last edited by AF on 31 Jan 2011, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Or light text and dark background; my preference.
smoth

Post by smoth »

You have to keep an admin acct otherwise when shit goes wrong it will really go wrong
Regret

Post by Regret »

Fair points @ Jazcash.

What makes you think these "trolls" will switch to the new forum?

I don't think the relaxed moderation will be enough incentive.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Well, he probably expects this forum to slowly prune duplicate subforums and port threads, gradually separating the engine and game development content from the player content.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Regret wrote:Fair points @ Jazcash.

What makes you think these "trolls" will switch to the new forum?
This is a good point, how can they be disruptive if they cannot get at content devs or engine devs. In my time with the troll community I noticed 2 typical troll things 1: they are little attention whores 2:they want to disrupt productive efforts for lulz turning any effort into a hassle so they can shit up the place it is a matter of accomplishment to them

So if the can create a lul cow or consitent easy fix for their self empowerment need they will. trolling other trolls is no fun. Because other trolls take effort
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Well initially it was going to be just a forum for Fx, my clan, but I thought a general player forum would be cool instead and use private sub-forums for the clan. I'll see how it goes down, if it still hasn't worked out in say, a month, I'll consider pulling the project and just using them as casual forums for clans instead.

Hopefully though, we'll be able to get the members database from this forum integrated or duplicated to the community forums as a few people have said they cba to make a new account and will only use them if they can use same account for both.

Also, thanks for the feedback AF, although, I'm a big greyscale fan when it comes to webdesign, however, I'll try and get some colour in there somewhere some time.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Neddie wrote:Or light text and dark background; my preference.
no.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

TradeMark wrote:
MidKnight wrote:SRTS server is super! If we want to share user databases, it's ideal to stick them on the same server.

...we could just mirror everything to another server and hot swap in the case of an outage, if you're that concerned...
why its needed to be on same server if we want to share files? i dont get it...

mirror everything... because of a chat room? yeah right... sure... go for it.
Licho wrote:its been slow due to some springfiles.com issues (its hosted on same server).
But jj said he has fixed those now.
springfiles.com is on springrts.com server? O.O oh for fucks sake... gg.

you guys totally miss out the idea with different servers... its to reduce the lag on different sites, and when one site goes down, not every site will.

FU. UF.

Go away.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

TL; DR BUT...

According to some studies the human "relational channel capacity" limits the number of people who can successfully form a community to 150... so if we have reached/exceeded that number in this forum, splintering it could foster growth... that said I'm not sure which forum to post random crap in the off-topic forum of... though I imagine most of you will say "neither" so I won't ask.

Return to “General Discussion”