New video - need replays!

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Sereiya

Post by Sereiya »

Hey,

I'm currently workin' for my new video. But I've a major problem: After my last Trailer, everybody want's to see other mods than BA and CA. But there aren't replays for mods like Kernel Panic, Spring: 1944 etc. on replays.adune.nl - only old ones, and I got problems loading them with the new spring version.

I hope there're more replay repositorys out there I don't know, or some players who want to send me some to make the new video even more epic! :-)

kind regards,
Serry

PS: Was this the right forum part?

Edit: Another question I forgot: Is there a Camera LUA? This hard movements of the ingame Camera Abilitys aren't perfect to make a video.
Beherith

Re: New video - need replays!

Post by Beherith »

I modified the smoothscroll widget a bit to make it an excellent super smooth camera controlling tool.

Just unzip into LuaUI/Widgets and overwrite previous. Hold middle button to test it.
Attachments
camera_smooth_move.7z
(1.96 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
knorke

Post by knorke »

that one camera mode (freeview or smooth or what it is called) + unit tracking (t) is pretty cool. the camera stays in place but smoothly points at the unit.

also i used the attached widget to create the circling camera in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk3eFtsK1Dk & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-JfponLOZs

you can mash the numbers on the keypad to change angle, height, rotation.
Attachments
tp_campath.lua
circling camera
(4.25 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Sereiya

Post by Sereiya »

yeah, cool! That's what I'm talking about! :-) Big Thanks!

Now I just need replays - the beginning of the video shouldn't only show BA and XTA. (Oh, If you're interested what's the video about - I'll show, why Spring is even more better than most of the commercial games, in variety, fun and even graphics (or just everything). No offense to other games - but isn't Spring wonderful? :-) )
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

For Kernel Panic, you can just shoot a match of "Kernel Panic AI" vs "Kernel Panic AI". It's a LuaAI, always in the mod. I'd say such AI matches are even prettier than human match, because the AI spread its units more, instead of using big clump of same units. If adding AI manually in a lobby is to bothersome, be alone in a KP game, press esc, click skirmish, click spectate, click run, and it'll autorun a random AI battle.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

S44 forum has a replays section:

http://www.spring1944.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=14

But they are usually not marked with version in the title, only in the post, and often are uploaded to highlight bugs or crashes. If you talk to Nemo we can probably organise getting you a selection of replays, maybe next S44 game night (Sundays).

edit: Looks like Nemo had the same idea
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... ead#unread :lol:
Sereiya

Post by Sereiya »

I tried to play Kernel Panic some minutes ago (Vers. 4.1), but it always crashed some minutes after it starts. I tried it with both AIs. Some Problems with the new Spring Version?

I'll proceed with capturing S44, but I would prefer to also show some nice KP shots in the first seconds of the demonstration video.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

I had fixed and tested KP 4.1 for Spring 0.82.5.1. Of course there may be bugs I'm not aware of.

I am sorry, but since I haven't heard much of other bug reports, I will have to bother you with my demands of more precision until I understand what happened. I'll start with: Pastebin the infolog please!
Sereiya

Post by Sereiya »

Here it is:
http://pastebin.com/R5rvxyeA

When I'm looking at this, this line (229) is eye-catching:

Code: Select all

[   2477] Hang detection triggered for Spring 0.82.5.1 ({0.82-branch}0.82.5.1 MT-Sim).
I'm glad spring is writing those things into the infolog - 'cause it's an oldschool "freeze" crash. Reminds me of the problems with the LuaUI in the test time of multicore support.

Was it a mistake to not let him change my Spring settings with the first start?

Edit: Oh, it's the same Error I have with CA. I never had any problems with BA, although I use the IceUI.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Don't use MT Spring with any mod other than BA.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Yeah, do not use MT with any mod that use a fair bit of Lua.

Autohang detection doesn't mean crash, just that the engine think it has spent too much time lost in its calculation already. So try playing at lower speed or anything else that'll reduce CPU load. But not MT. Current MT gives worse performance except in few special case.

For instance I know that Shard triggers autohang a lot because of how CPU hungry it is, even though Spring hasn't hanged but merely hiccuped or slideshowcrawled. Maybe 6 KPAI is enough to choke your CPU as well?

Or maybe MT really ended in a deadlock because of MT issues.

Anyway, if a dev read this, please look at infolog, cause I don't really understand stacktrace dumps and maybe I'm wrong.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

zwzsg wrote:For instance I know that Shard triggers autohang a lot because of how CPU hungry it is, even though Spring hasn't hanged but merely hiccuped or slideshowcrawled. Maybe 6 KPAI is enough to choke your CPU as well?

I was no aware of this and I am astounded that AI developers were not notified! This is a huge problem in that now we have a whole class of problems and bugs that are our responsibility caused by the foolishness of the guy with the 20 year old machine! What is the timeout? Why did nobody make me aware of this?!
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

I AM THE KING!!!
why nobody tell me!!!!??!
i ma diss a point!
hang someone.. anybody... no, 32!!!
whaers my cerviziaaaa?!?!
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

I would like to know as well if that "Hang detection" is what I'm guessing it is, what part of code does it apply to, what resets it, what's its timeout, how to disable it, etc...
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

I thougth everyone knew this: http://replays.adune.nl/
FLOZi wrote:S44 forum has a replays section:

http://www.spring1944.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=14
I've had my replays site running for over 2 years now. What is wrong with it?
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Two things:
1) 0.82.5.1 is much younger than two years old.
2) Sereiya doesn't have any old Spring.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

What?

1) first replay uploaded at 30.03.08
2) you can dl any spring version from the replay download page itself (click the version number link), or here: http://replays.adune.nl/?sort=versionlist
Sereiya

Post by Sereiya »

TradeMark wrote:2) you can dl any spring version from the replay download page itself (click the version number link), or here: http://replays.adune.nl/?sort=versionlist
Is there an easier way than installing older versions parallel to the new one in other directories? I (and others I guess) would prefer to only have one Spring. (I already noticed an "Oldspring" folder earlier, but this never had changed sth.)

(I didn't unterstand what somebody were talking here about the autohang detection o.s. (my english isn't that good, sorry), but I guess it wasn't important to me (right?))
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

If you can't find a replay for a game in the latest version of Spring, odds are that game is not worth advertising anyway.

Return to “General Discussion”