Marketing Games & The Engine, General Truths - Page 3

Marketing Games & The Engine, General Truths

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

FireStorm_

Re: Marketing Games & The Engine, General Truths

Post by FireStorm_ »

To me it seems: AF posted some stuff, ignores everyone until Argh disagrees.
(looks like some people are most comfortable in a discussion where they can blame or refute others. I don't know, but it looks like that.)

Now i feel I've wasted time reading al this stuff (speculation about what other people should do), and i noticed myself wondering: What did AF hope to achieve with his initial post, if not a discussion?

AF, what was the desired effect of your initial post?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Argh wrote:
Discussion of marketing to expand the community by acquiring new players is illogical because this is not the players community
There is no "spring player's community" except for this one.
There is, it's in the lobby. What you see on these forums here is a tiny subset of what's on the lobby server. The people in the lobby are the players and most of them never read the forums.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

FireStorm_ wrote:To me it seems: AF posted some stuff, ignores everyone until Argh disagrees.
(looks like some people are most comfortable in a discussion where they can blame or refute others. I don't know, but it looks like that.)

Now i feel I've wasted time reading al this stuff (speculation about what other people should do), and i noticed myself wondering: What did AF hope to achieve with his initial post, if not a discussion?

AF, what was the desired effect of your initial post?
I agreed with many people, I just chose not to spam everybody by acknowledging it. Arghs presence is not conducive to a healthy discussion, nor is he allowing the thread to stay ontopic. His discussion on the importance of singleplayer vs multiplayer, and his boasting of PURE download counts is offtopic, and belongs elsewhere and is a derail.

My initial post was made in the developers meeting minutes thread. I deemed it more appropriate to edit the posts contents and move them into a new thread to preserve the discussion in that thread.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Not replying, is not the same as ignoring; doesn't mean you're not interested in the feedback and i guess i should apologise for amusing/saying so.

Maybe i was sort of moderating, and thus out of place.
As for the rest i have to say i mostly agree.

One thing though: I must say i do think something like making a model or widget for a game helps the spring community more than, discussing how to market the community so it can be helped in an unspecific/unsure way.

Maybe I'm wrong, so I'll leave it at that.
maackey

Post by maackey »

I thought AF's original points were pretty good, but AF if you expect everyone to agree with you why have a discussion in the first place? I never saw Argh being aggressive or making personal attacks (although I haven't read the entirety of this post yet). Please don't spam reports just because you're flustered.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Im not flustered, but thankyou for going through the thread. I agree with most people here, and Ive championed the importance of single player myself, heck Im an AI developer =p I know some people have opposing views on some things I believe are important if we're to market, e.g. smoth and installers, but that and others are off topic and have been discussed elsewhere.
One thing though: I must say i do think something like making a model or widget for a game helps the spring community more than, discussing how to market the community so it can be helped in an unspecific/unsure way.
I agree, and there are plenty of things we can do to help solve the issue of retention when people are pulled in by marketing and finally reach here and the other sites games are based on.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Really, the reason most people come to this site is to download the newest version of the stuff they need to play BA.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

plz ban me 12h
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

lol, why did you remove your post? Epic rage was epic and full of rage!

:cry:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

FireStorm_ wrote: (looks like some people are most comfortable in a discussion where they can blame or refute others. I don't know, but it looks like that.)
saying 'i agree.' is not a discussion at all
Argh

Post by Argh »

Really, the reason most people come to this site is to download the newest version of the stuff they need to play BA.
Even there, the numbers suggest pretty strongly that it's not a lot of people. So we aren't even succeeding with the effective monopoly on MP. Doesn't this suggest that maybe stuff isn't being done correctly?
If it's just talk, and policy doesn't change, I agree, this is a totally useless waste of time. I mean, if nothing changes, then yeah, that's all you can do- write Widgets for BA, hope that that makes BA more attractive, grows the audience... and that someday that will rub off on everybody else :roll:

But hey, I'm used to having my time wasted.

Return to “General Discussion”