Downloads page - Page 2

Downloads page

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

enetheru

Re: Downloads page

Post by enetheru »

zwzsg wrote:Hmm, it seems you didn't understand: That game downloads is not about listing every game and mod. It's about listing games that have installers.

I hope that you see the difference between downloading a sdz, and downloading an exe that installs the whole Spring engine plus a mod and some maps.

First time users would naturally go the download page:
- When a first time user download a .sdz, he's lost.
- When a first time user download a spring engine without game, he's confused.
- When a first time user download KP installer or S.D., he can play right away.

So which belongs there?
Sorry, I'm a Linux user, to me there is no difference. It illustrates that there is no easy way to include the games on the spring download page without being selective. It is my opinion that games downloads should be provided by the games themselves. and springrts.com should provide direct links to the games pages.

Out of the 6 people I have introduced to the game, none of them downloaded the games manually, they all used lobbies.
hoijui wrote:Have some more tips...
(sorry if it sounds rude, its too hot to be nice today ;-) )

MT (executable) should be in the windows section. (there will/could be a headless client and dedicated server too)

when going to the download page, i want to see what i need as fast as possible, with important stuff color coded maybe (win-only, <version>, unstable, ...). I do not want to read sentences or paragraphs like:
SelectionEditor
Click here to download all required binaries to run the latest SelectionEditor. Sources are in git.
rather:
SelectionEditor (cross-platform): windows binary source archive source repository
Not rude at all,
haha, that was cut and paste from the old wiki. I didn't modify that at all.
I like the style, but it leaves the other platforms out of the loop. you cant add a Linux link there it doesn't make sense.

I've worked with what I've got to make it a little nicer. but only a little.
hoijui wrote: Latest Stable Snapshot
... does not make sense to me. it is either stable or a snapshot. -> confusing
well a snapshot is a copy of a source repository at a point in time. adding stable lets people know at what point in time that was.
hoijui wrote: Unstable Test Builds
remove the Test
done
hoijui wrote: Click here to download the installer -> download installer

Backup download link -> mirror

Do not have full sentences just for the sake of it:
Linux
The Linux set up guide provides set up information for various Linux distributions.
When the user comes to the page, he does not want to read, just to see and click. only make him read if it REALLY needs to be, like the very first sentence (now green).
I was actually tossing the mirror words around around when I was putting it together.
I think the converse argument is not to shorten things for the sake of brevity, when you have the time to give it all. the link is at the beginning people don't need to continue reading.
Brain Damage wrote:selection editor is no way cross platform using windows only gui components and having selectkeys.txt location hardcoded
I think he was only using it as an example.
Pxtl wrote:Imho, the CA guys need to get a Spring + SD installer. SD makes fetching mods and maps and joining games so seamless that a Spring+SD installer might be the easiest way to get to the major use-case of Spring (that is, download, install, find the first BA+DSD game you can).
Off topic, but I agree all game installers need to have a spring install. I think the best solution would be to auto download and install the spring binaries if not already installed.
AF wrote:>.<

Make the windows download a big windows icon with the filename underneath and size, then put a big OS X apple logo next to it, and a linux logo next to that, and have them link to the relevant parts.

Dont present me with a wall of text.
Sorry about the text AF, but unless you can source me some legal windows and apple icons its not going to happen.

perhaps we could do like this http://enlightenment.org/p.php?p=about&l=en

Added back the filename and size. and remember its only intended as an improvement on the current state. optimising what we have already.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

it was looking really busy, so I flattened the heading hierarchy to take advantage of the H1 horizontal lines.

http://springrts.com/wiki/User:Enetheru
IMHO alot cleaner.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i had a try myself:
http://springrts.com/wiki/Download_proposal_hoijui
(please do not edit directly, but Wiki-fork it instead)
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

enetheru

Post by enetheru »

hahaha, awesome! :lol:

I've nicked your rounded box jK :wink:

And you cant use the images from enlightenment.org without explicit permission or its the same as using the official windows/apple logos.

Have some integrity people :shock: . You will see down the bottom of the enlightenment page they have their little mention of registered trademarks etc for using just the names.

and yeah.. went on a smiley binge :mrgreen:
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

This is a VAST improvement
Tim-the-maniac

Post by Tim-the-maniac »

So when new users arrive at the downloads page they are redirected to Games Downloads (if you want to "get ready to play"). There you download Spring Downloader and it errors because you don't have spring.exe.

These new pages look a lot better, but at least the current downloads page has you do things in the right order :-)
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

AF wrote:
I don't like referring to the engine installer as "engine updates". It's inaccurate. Those are complete installers for the engine, not simple updates. For those of us who are looking for the naked engine installer and want to install game/mod/whatever packages manually, it's misleading.

Also, SpringDownloader should _not_ be at the top of the Game Downloads page until the SpringDownloader page includes a complete installer including the engine itself.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Pxtl, check this thread rr terminology of the engine setup file (prob better to keep that discussion there).

Otherwise, jk's suggestion is a massive improvement to now. As long as the front page link says "download and play" though, Z's point is valid also (ie add [or switch - think I] the "Games Download" page for the current "Download").
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

SeanHeron wrote:Pxtl, check this thread rr terminology of the engine setup file (prob better to keep that discussion there).

Otherwise, jk's suggestion is a massive improvement to now. As long as the front page link says "download and play" though, Z's point is valid also (ie add [or switch - think I] the "Games Download" page for the current "Download").
Who has the ability to change the front page?
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

AF wrote:
I've pulled in the icons to my page and I'm not going to ask where you got them. I will just trust that the source is clean. fixed up some other consistency issues.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

The use of product logos for identification purposes strikes me as falling under Fair Use laws in any case...
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

I think we can all agree that what we have collectively come up with is far superior to the current page. :-)

I would like someone with access to replace the current page with my page (I've included all jK's additions, and a bunch of smaller consistancy, clearer wording things.)

http://springrts.com/wiki/User:Enetheru
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

It looks definitely better.
Some formal shape up:
The files listed here do not contain playable games, perhaps you want:
Games Downloads
Imo it should be:
Download Spring Games:
Download
Spring Engine

The files listed here do not contain playable games

These files are the latest stable versions.
Image:Window.png Installer: spring_0.81.2.1.exe ~18MB - {mirror}

7zip Archive: spring_0.81.2.1_portable.7z ~15MB - {mirror}
Or something like that... Because if you say "files listed here do not..." and then provide list of links, it gives wrong impression. Imo it should state very clearly that "Download Spring games here" and then download button...
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

I'm sorry SirArtturi, I dont understand what you mean :|

Edit: I think I figured it out.. and changed to clear up the confusion.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The table of contents distracts! Clutters things up, just make it obvious there's more content below the fold and users will scroll.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

AF wrote:The table of contents distracts! Clutters things up, just make it obvious there's more content below the fold and users will scroll.
I like it with, but that makes two people who like it without, so I am outnumbered, my tactical skills are not yet such that I can take on greater numbers :wink: .
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

It may seem obvious, but I still think you should actually label the operating systems just to be complete about it. Or at least put a header labeled "OS" aligned over the icons.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

deployed, thanks!
t0rb3n

Post by t0rb3n »

hopefully not to off-topic:

someone please make the images in the linux setup guide link to the corresponding pages instead of a image-properties page O,o

Return to “General Discussion”