Downloads page - Page 3

Downloads page

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Satirik
Lobby Developer

Re: Downloads page

Post by Satirik »

i don't like the new page, it suggests to click on the green box, then the first link is SpringDownloader which doesn't download spring

and the "Spring Engine Updates" makes you think you need spring already installed ..., the "updates" should be removed, and the green box description should be "Ready to play installers (including the Spring engine and games)" or something like this
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i have updated the images on the linux setup-guide page:
http://springrts.com/wiki/SetupGuide

all of them, and a few more i used in my proposal, are from: http://openiconlibrary.sourceforge.net

my updated site (mainly added more images):
http://springrts.com/wiki/Download_proposal_hoijui

i know that i have chosen bad colors, but i like color coded stuff, especially on the download links.
t0rb3n

Post by t0rb3n »

nice images hoijui, but if you click on them you still end up on the wiki page about the image and not at the corresponding setup-page D:
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

yeah i know, i noticed it myself. i am not a wiki expert.. feel free to fix it.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Aghr where'd the MT build go?
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Tobi wrote:
deployed, thanks!
You deployed the wrong one that one still has inconsistancy

http://springrts.com/wiki/Enetheru:downloads
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Satirik wrote:i don't like the new page, it suggests to click on the green box, then the first link is SpringDownloader which doesn't download spring

and the "Spring Engine Updates" makes you think you need spring already installed ..., the "updates" should be removed, and the green box description should be "Ready to play installers (including the Spring engine and games)" or something like this
That is a page you can edit. and is also the responsibility of the content creators IMHO. but I agree that it also needs work.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i am pretty sure that Tobi looked at all 3 versions we have around, before choosing jk's. I also prefer jk's; would just need more images :D ;-)

do not worry though, jk used yours as a base (as it looks), and also took some small inspiration from mine. plus you started it all... so.. thanks! :-)
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

hoijui wrote:i am pretty sure that Tobi looked at all 3 versions we have around, before choosing jk's. I also prefer jk's; would just need more images :D ;-)

do not worry though, jk used yours as a base (as it looks), and also took some small inspiration from mine. plus you started it all... so.. thanks! :-)
Don't worry, it was a group effort. its just that there were a'lot of tiny things that were improved from peoples suggestions that weren't in jK's

And the only difference between mine and jK's was the inclusion of the unstable build and all the little fixes. jK's now omits entirely the testing MT build. Where as the original had it linked through another page. I went to a lot of trouble to make sure that all the information present in the original page remained.

Hence my statement that its the wrong page.

But whatever. The main goal is achieved, and that's what's important.

An aside, it would have been 'respectful' for Tobi to explain why he chose jK's to upload.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

enetheru wrote:
hoijui wrote:do not worry though, jk used yours as a base (as it looks), and also took some small inspiration from mine. plus you started it all... so.. thanks! :-)
Don't worry, it was a group effort.
Yup, I did just a little. It's really a community work.
hoijui wrote:i am pretty sure that Tobi looked at all 3 versions we have around, before choosing jk's. I also prefer jk's; would just need more images :D ;-)
enetheru wrote:Its just that there were a'lot of tiny things that were improved from peoples suggestions that weren't in jK's.
I think that's the reason why ppl prefer my version. It's minimalistic: no fancy colors, short text, ...
So using more images should be done wisely, else it looks obtrusive.
enetheru wrote:And the only difference between mine and jK's was the inclusion of the unstable build and all the little fixes. jK's now omits entirely the testing MT build. Where as the original had it linked through another page. I went to a lot of trouble to make sure that all the information present in the original page remained.
Yeah, the MT build will included in the default installer with 0.82, I used that assumption for my version (that's why it says "Latest stable version is: 0.82").
I am afk today, so I can't `fix` that today. I will look at that tomorrow (and may be further improving the "Games Download" page).
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Maybe needs a bit more instruction on how you get games downloaded and running with the bare engine, and when you should be getting the engine download.

Right now it probably still seems a bit unclear to a newbie how to get game X running.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

enetheru wrote: An aside, it would have been 'respectful' for Tobi to explain why he chose jK's to upload.
It seemed the newest / best up to date download page.
Maybe needs a bit more instruction on how you get games downloaded and running with the bare engine, and when you should be getting the engine download.

Right now it probably still seems a bit unclear to a newbie how to get game X running.
That should be covered by the GamesDownloads page I think. The download page clearly says that if you just want to play you should go there.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

"spring engine updates" but what if i don't want to update but download the full installer ?
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Thanks Tobi, cant ask more than that :)

And thanks everyone who has helped out, putting time and energy(however large/small) into improving the status quo. :mrgreen:
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Tobi wrote:
enetheru wrote: An aside, it would have been 'respectful' for Tobi to explain why he chose jK's to upload.
It seemed the newest / best up to date download page.

That should be covered by the GamesDownloads page I think. The download page clearly says that if you just want to play you should go there.
Though unless they want to install 1 of the 3 gamespecific installers (yes there could/should be more in the future),
it sends the user right back... Which might be kinda unobvious to realise too that you need to get the "engine updates" instead of clicking the springlobby/springdownloader links.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

On http://springrts.com/wiki/GamesDownloads :
  • EvoRTS links to a page that (for windows) links back to http://springrts.com/wiki/Download
    It feels like going circle there.
  • S44 full installer is outdated (uses Spring 0.78.2.1)
  • GRTS & KP installers: I should add a mention that they are for windows only.

Oh and please rename "Spring Engine Updates" into "Spring Bare Engine"
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

'Spring Engine - "Bare Bones" Install' would make more sense while conveying the same meaning, I think.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

(OFF TOPIC)
Ok this is interesting,(don't get me wrong here, I am always really curious about developer habits, and what can be done to motivate, demotivate etc, how to maintain momentum and all that. So I am presenting my thoughts on the subject as it relates here :roll: .)

People are still asking for changes to the downloads page. but who's going to make them?. It will have to be either an admin for the wiki, or jK(or someone forking jK's page to continue working on it.

I'm not so inclined to overwrite my page with jK's because then I would have to duplicate some effort in fixing some stuff(and I already pulled in jK's changes). Same reason why I'm not going to fork jK's page.

I say its interesting because choosing jK's page moved the primary fork to his page, it changed the entire dynamic of what was going on here. jK would have to step up to the plate and become the maintainer of the downloads wiki page. Whereas I had subconsciously assumed the mantle.

Its just interesting that is all, how the ebbs and flows of things go, and I've moved onto other pages now.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

oh and people should create a new forum topic for changes to the games download page. as its OT here. and for any future contributor they would have to wade through the download discussion to get to the related info.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Can we have a meta forum please?

Return to “General Discussion”