Spring donations - Page 3

Spring donations

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

Re: Spring server will expire soon

Post by Caydr »

Didn't I just get sodomized for pointing out that servers are expensive and that we could move almost everything to sourceforge for free? But no, servers are actually free and AF shits fully-formed immaculate babies made of money.

If I actually believed it was necessary I'd pay the whole bill right now.
Last edited by Caydr on 17 Oct 2009, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
aegis

Post by aegis »

except we can't
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Why?
aegis

Post by aegis »

not without changing the site moderately and/or a lot of work...
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

DOT DOT DOT

Ok then, let's pay $700 for unnecessary services then, because nobody wants to be bothered doing some elementary changes to our existing code or, heaven forbid, rewriting the stone-age site we use.

Homer Simpson voice: In case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic.

FFS am I the only web designer on this forum? You were all shitting bricks because I suggested we make the site width-variable. If I had assurances that my redesign would actually be used (assuming it was agreed to be superior in every regard by a large majority of the community) I'd just rewrite the bloody thing.
Last edited by Caydr on 17 Oct 2009, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
aegis

Post by aegis »

afaik, sourceforge won't host:
our own code
Caydr wrote: FFS am I the only web designer on this forum? You were all shitting bricks because I suggested we make the site width-variable.
you're apparently the only one with a small monitor width.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Your own code, specifically...

I think I just read somewhere that the reason the server has to be so powerful is largely because of the forum.
Last edited by Caydr on 17 Oct 2009, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
aegis

Post by aegis »

Caydr wrote:Your own code, specifically...
SourceForge.net wrote:SourceForge.net staff handle application maintenance and upgrades, leaving you to focus on actually using the application rather than maintaining its install.
specifically, anything.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

neddiedrow wrote:May donate depending on finances at the end of the month. Barring any unexpected expenditures I should have a little to spare.
I elected to donate now, before I forget. Just means I need to eat a little cheaper until I get paid. :P I know it isn't much, but hopefully it will help.
aegis

Post by aegis »

licho has a personal investment in this server too, so he's going to have something like it whether or not spring is running on it. if we had enough money to upgrade, we could do cool things like run official dedicated servers/autohosts/tourneys on it.

I'm electing to pay for a home theater right now with my "anything goes" budget, but I can possibly donate regularly afterwards.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Or you could keep the server we have, or even go with a lower-cost one, and move the bandwidth/processor/RAM hogs off of it.
Last edited by Caydr on 17 Oct 2009, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
aegis

Post by aegis »

afaik bandwidth isn't our problem, most is delegated to github and shared hosting like darkstars and springinfo
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

You ninja'd me, where I said bandwidth I basically meant "server resources" like CPU, RAM, etc.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

It's a lot Neddie, in eur server cost is like 470Ôé¼/year and can be less for next year if we stay on same HW, so thanks! :)

Cyadr .. there are no lower cost, only one person pointed to similar priced, but better machine in Germany, but i could not understand its bandwidth proposal.

And current server has no bandwidth problems at all.. it has 3 000 000 MB/month limit at 100mbit and then runs at 10mbit upload.

Even if whole jobjol was hosted there (which im fine with btw) it would not run out of quota.
aegis

Post by aegis »

the biggest cpu/ram hogs are running on this server *because* they are cpu/ram hogs.

I suppose we could optimize phpbb and our web server, swap out the lobby server, and fix the virtual machine to get a lot of extra resources...
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Yes, simply put you cannot run them on your average cheap VPS offer, because there is simply not enough RAM - and if you want more RAM, you get into same or higher price range with VPS.
aegis

Post by aegis »

it could be viable to throw everything on sourceforge and throw uberserver on a vps... but *migration* wouldn't exactly happen in a few minutes. server crap takes work.

licho is paying for a huge part of the server already... it won't hurt to support him and stick with a better server.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

If few more people donate, as I hope, i will simply buy the better machine for next year and there wont be any problems with performance even with 20 lobby servers at once..
aegis

Post by aegis »

will we need to manually migrate the current server to whatever server you buy?
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Strangely, whenever I check on the server, VBoxHeadless consumes between 50 and 80 % cpu and about 1 gig of ram. I never have seen phpbb and apache go beyond 20 %. But then again, I am not server admin and don't really know whats going on on it. Maybe we should start clearing out some unnecessary services / services which can easily hosted on other servers. Things like git repository mirror, testing / backup lobby server etc?

Return to “General Discussion”