Commentated Replay

Commentated Replay

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

SteveZissou

Commentated Replay

Post by SteveZissou »

I've enjoyed watching commentated StarCraft videos and I thought it would be fun to try it myself with a Spring replay.

The match is against [PiRO]Wisse[teh] on the Small Divide. I uploaded it to jobjol:
http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1583
file type: wmv
file size: 68.8 MB
length: 15:21

The original replay can be found at:
http://replays.adune.nl/?416

Hopefully this will inspire better commentators to give it a try. I for one would be interested in watching some.
Day

Re: Commentated Replay

Post by Day »

Hehe, nice one!
I've often attempted to get myself to do that for spring, really funny to see that someone finally went and did it. I would be interested in playing some games/maybe even commentating with you or something like that, atleast be involved!

PM me!
Wisse

Post by Wisse »

Damn right you didn't pronounce it right ;)

I've only seen commented games in W:ET which is fast FPS game so shout caster didn't even have time to describe everything going on.

Spring on the other hand is much slower than that game so there's not much to talk about in 1v1s. Things could get alot more intense in larger games (3v3+) I guess.

I liked how you commented this replay (especially radar coverage and expanding) but I was missing some other info for fillers while there wasn't much action.

Few examples: You could investigate wind stats and comment why you chose to go for solars and why I decided 3 winds would be enough. You could comment why you decided not to expand and how you still managed to get that much M. Pointing out more tactics decisions would be nice too, like how I constantly tried to stay on higher ground than you to get better use of Thuds. And why you used Rocos as ur primary unit.

But than again I know that I would fail trying to comment replay or live game couse I'm not natural for that kind of stuff and would probably run out of words rather fast.

Idea of commenting some live games is nice tho. I would be happy to listen to someone commenting games on TS while spectating them. I think commenters would develop some kind of spring jargon to describe certain tactics/moves/builds and make commenting more and more interesting with some practice.
If things would go nicely we would need some kind of Spring TV service where players could join in and watch game without interrupting game.

Nice work Steve
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Wisse wrote:If things would go nicely we would need some kind of Spring TV service where players could join in and watch game without interrupting game.

Nice work Steve
:-)
Wisse

Post by Wisse »

Hehe I was in a hurry. You know what I meant tho?
SteveZissou

Post by SteveZissou »

Day -
I'd be happy to work with you on making another. I'm not sure how we'd be able to capture both of our voices for the commentary but if you have any ideas I'd be game. Having a(some) match(es) between you and another top player commentated would be nice.

Wisse -
Ha, knew I was mispronouncing it! :lol:
Thanks for the advice, its good to hear some feedback. I agree, live commentary would be cool.
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

it'd be fun to sit on teamspeak and comment with someone while watching the game
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Man, I'd love to see some more of that. I'd even consider acctually doing some commenting. We really need to set up a method of streaming live games with commentary for tournies. It would blow the competitive scene apart, and probably significantly increase spring population.
Day

Post by Day »

Yes Yes Hell Yes!
Hacked

Post by Hacked »

that was amazing
i actually had fun watching the replay

one thing i really suggest is the allycursors lua widget, simply because it gives so much more insight into the playing styles of each player. it would really make for more interesting commentaries.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Nice!!I thought about doing it as well many times but.
A tutorial can be made like this which would be much easier than building missions etc..
Only one problem with that and its the fact spring might get an update in which case if there will be any good commentated games they would need to be recorded and made into video files.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Hacked wrote:that was amazing
i actually had fun watching the replay

one thing i really suggest is the allycursors lua widget, simply because it gives so much more insight into the playing styles of each player. it would really make for more interesting commentaries.
This won't work if you are watching a replay, only in the actual game.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

id like to see more of this :)
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

need moar. a good start, i'd say. skype/teamspeak + fraps + a hosted replay + more drawing could make this even better.
aegis

Post by aegis »

if we could find the bandwidth, we could make this live...
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

live feed on spring main page ;P
aegis

Post by aegis »

assuming fnordia has enough upload to support it...
SteveZissou

Post by SteveZissou »

Due to the positive feedback I commentated another replay. This one is between Llamadeus and Foople on Comet Catcher. I tried to explain build orders and use of units more this time as suggested by Wisse. I've uploaded it again to jobjol:
http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1587

I am also in the process of uploading these videos to YouTube as an alternative to dling.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCiwS2xYEn8
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=rJNUKx9Jb44

Its great to see that I'm not the only one interested in watching commentated Spring replays. I encourage others to try commentating and posting their work. Day had a good idea of simply recording the audio which would then be played along with the real replay. That way there are no large video files to upload/download.

I like Gota's idea of making a tutorial for new players. I also think this would be a good way to showcase some of the new mods. Day - I know you've been playing some Star Wars IW lately, maybe you have a good replay that you'd like to commentate for us? :)

Edit: added YouTube link
smoth

Post by smoth »

You are a wash up steve. You still have not killed the Leopard Shark.
SteveZissou

Post by SteveZissou »

LOL
(it was a jaguar shark though :P)

Return to “General Discussion”