Make Kernel Panic the official showcase game?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Since giving users an engine without games is pointless but *A cannot be included due to copyright concerns I think Kernel Panic may be a good base package to include with the engine. It's free software, fairly small (without the music at least and I wouldn't put the music into the main Spring installer), easy to learn and outfitted with extensive singleplayer and training features. There are free maps for it too so it'd be a complete install-and-go package using only a few additional megabytes. Updates seem to have slowed down so I don't think there'd be an issue with outdated versions (especially since Zw also maintains a full installer). Of course it wouldn't be the only thing a new user wants but it'd give him something to work with and convince him that Spring is not just a convoluted mess.
Hobo Joe

Re: Make Kernel Panic the official showcase game?

Post by Hobo Joe »

I don't see why we don't just put BA on there. Nobody is coming after us.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

The problem with giving an engine a default game, is that it makes newcomers think or feel that that default game is what the Engine is all about. When I think of Valve, I think of Half Life, when I think of Activision I think Call of Duty, Bungie, Halo, etc.

Instead, give the user a nice selection screen like the SD game screen featuring a range of games and mods, if not all.

We've really got to make the difference between Engine and games distinct.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

I personally don't agree with the idea of a flagship or default game, but KP is probably the best option overall.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Jazcash wrote:The problem with giving an engine a default game, is that it makes newcomers think or feel that that default game is what the Engine is all about. When I think of Valve, I think of Half Life, when I think of Activision I think Call of Duty, Bungie, Halo, etc.

Instead, give the user a nice selection screen like the SD game screen featuring a range of games and mods, if not all.

We've really got to make the difference between Engine and games distinct.
Yeah, just give new users a checklist of mods that they can get, along with the option to download a pack of the most popular maps. (dsd, tab, ccr, ssb, etc)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Kernel panic is the closest thing we have to a full blown game right now in terms of completeness, it's only problem is it lacks a mini website plastered in shiny pictures and videos ( moddb profile doesn't count ).

BA etc aren't options because even if Atari isn't gunning for us, we've all been left out intentionally from lots of reviews, distributions, and free game lists.

Atari doesn't need their legals department to hurt us

I would say we need to be careful that we reinforce the message that spring is nit kernel panic, if we don't we run the risk of that association coming up and hurting bit projects. I have a solution in mind that will help alleviate this kind of issue, Ill make another thread if anything comes of it
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

If kernel panic is used as the flagship though, I think we should distribute spring as is and then present Zs kernel panic installer. We shouldn't wrest control from him over his installer
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

This thread is moot. Use SpringDownloader as Jazcash already stated. It gets maps, mods and widgets and installs them for you. The user doesn't have to do a single thing other than run it. The user can launch and host a game without even having the mod or map, SD does the rest.

Spring can even drop its pre-packaged widgets.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

AF wrote: it's only problem is it lacks a mini website plastered in shiny pictures and videos ( moddb profile doesn't count ).
Coming very very soon.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

AF wrote:it's only problem is it lacks a mini website plastered in shiny pictures and videos ( moddb profile doesn't count ).
Why? It's a shiny website plastered in shiny pictures and videos!

http://www.moddb.com/games/kernel-panic/
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

I am for this.
CarRepairer wrote:This thread is moot...
Re: Convoluted mess.
CaptainPoo

Post by CaptainPoo »

kernal panic.. are you serious?

It's like Darwinia graphics :?

Would chose NOTA or Star Wars over KP any day
Edible

Post by Edible »

I dont think I have ever seen a game of it with players...

Either way a flagship game seems like a bad idea, I am in favour of SD being used despite its annoyances.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

CaptainPoo wrote:kernal panic.. are you serious?

It's like Darwinia graphics :?

Would chose NOTA or Star Wars over KP any day
NOTA graphics?

Imperial Winter hasn't been released yet, so it isn't an option.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Flagship is bad, like Jaz said it makes people associate. KP, regardless of what its gameplay is, is the simplest and ugliest Spring game, and probably uses the least engine features. Not the first impression you want people to get. Not to mention, it's never played. I haven't seen an active KP game in over a year. People will download it and just see the solid black with colored lines and instantly form a bad impression. It's just not what you want.

No flagship, just an installer with a checklist and shiny pictures.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Hobo Joe wrote:probably uses the least engine features
Engine features are deprecated, these days it's all about the Lua! And let me tell you that KP does use its fair share of Lua.
CaptainPoo wrote:Would chose Star Wars over KP any day
We can't put in the installer a mod that hasn't been released yet! And when the Spring Star war mod gets released, in 2072, it will look as dated as KP.
Hobo Joe wrote:Not to mention, it's never played. I haven't seen an active KP game in over a year.
You know, Spring community is dwarfed by the starcraft one. Maybe it's time we eventually stop this comedy and eventually just put SC2 in the installer. Not to mention, you must not log very often and not have a very good eyesight to not see KP games.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I'm completely against a default game, but if I had to chose, I'd pick CA straight away. It's fast approaching OTA-Freeness and is the fastest evolving game for Spring out right now. Imo, it's also the prettiest and uses a hell of a lot more engine features than most other games.

But again, Spring shouldn't be known for a particular game, Spring should just be remember as an Engine. When people say "I'm going to play Spring", they mean they're going to go play a game or two on the Spring Engine.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Jazcash wrote: I'd pick CA straight away. It's fast approaching OTA-Freeness
And has been for 3 years.
KDR_11k wrote:Of course it wouldn't be the only thing a new user wants but it'd give him something to work with and convince him that Spring is not just a convoluted mess.
Wouldn't this be dishonest? 8)

I think it'd be kind of odd to make the "spring engine" package include a game...makes more sense to me to distribute game packages that include the engine and install it if it's not already installed. But then it would be silly to distribute those on the download page for the engine site so we'd run into the whole rebranding crap AF was going on about.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

as long as i like KP and its piece of great game i dont think it represent spring (and in the end other games) properly. /me votes for spring defence and dsd
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

I'm behind the SD game buffet, here. No one particular game defines spring.

If we wanted to make a flagship game, I think it should be an 'example' game with polished, well-documented units, scripts, and samples of code provided by the community.

Return to “General Discussion”