engine capabilities?

engine capabilities?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

losbellos

engine capabilities?

Post by losbellos »

Hej,

Is is possible to create tunnels, or roads that goes over the other?

Is SSAO is possible for spring? A little thing could look like everything better.
I kinda imagine this whole sping project on like a UT3 engine level. Would be awesome. I think the source code is free now, or is it just the editor?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: engine capabilities?

Post by Forboding Angel »

1. Not really.

2. Dunno what SSAO means.

3. This is an RTS engine, not an FPS engine. That said, as an RTS engine, it is full of winsauce.

4. The sauce is GPL.

5. What editor?

6. Welcome to the spring forums.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

SSAO is basicly ambient occlusion (to be exact screen space AO). I don't see that happening on an engine level for quite a while, but I think someone made a widget to do it? It's heavy on the gpu tho so it will slow your pc down a lot if you have an old card.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_Spa ... _Occlusion

It is possible to have tunnels and roads going over eachother aka true 3D maps, HOWEVER, this would require several refactors and a new map format. QuadFields are where you would have to look and it would require C++ knowledge and engine patches.

Also the engine has no built in editor. Judging form this I can assume that little prior research was actually done on the most basic fundamentals of the engine.

In the meantime, there is nothing stopping you making UT3 style levels, so long as you bare in mind that the navigatable regions must be representable on a heightmap. Any other regions would be purely visual. To do this you would disable map rendering and render your own geometry instead.

Return to “General Discussion”